Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Downloads, whats piggybacking on my downloads?

• Please log in to reply

electricme

electricme

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,
I got a problem, but mabe it's not a problem, I just am very concerned and I need something or some info on how to fix it up.

Every so often I have noticed it takes far too long to download a file to my PC, I have Dialup and Bigpond is a bit skungy with their download speeds.
Just a couple of hours I decided to download a program, it was 14meg in size so I began the process, Connected to the internet, then I double clicked on the 2 little computers on the taskbar to see how things were progressing.
It wasn't too long before I began to notice the download was not performing as I thought it should so I wrote down the amount of Mbytes being shown by the 2 little computers.
10Mb of the SW I wanted had been downloaded, but the 2 PCs showed a total of 14Mb had been downloaded. hmmmm

Eventually the 10Mb of the program I wanted was downloaded, BUT there was a total of 30,561,000 megs were downloaded overall, just to download my 10Mb program. OK I smell a RAT.
The 2 little computers on my task bar are lit as I write this speel, showing a total of 33,237,000 odd it has taken a little while to write this.

OK has anyone got a program that can show me every download taking place while I am on the internet? and I mean EVERY THING trying to download itself, by showing what program or file it is, how big it is, and where it is coming from.

This incident today has taken 3 times longer than it should have to download, especially as the download speed is 2.7kb.
I know microsoft can download big file updates automatically, and not expose itself, I want even them to show up.

So if anyone has the answer for this problem please post it.

Jim

Advertisements