Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows lock up; 98SE

• Please log in to reply

ejmco7415

ejmco7415

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running windows 98SE. I first noticed my problem when emptying my recycle bin when the files/names in the bin did not clear out for 30-45 seconds, even though the files were less than 1 meg. When closing the explorer window, it takes 30-45 seconds to close and if I should move the window, usually because I am frustrated, the screen does not clear off the old position of the window when it paints the new location of the window. Most apps take a bit more time to start and run slower. I ran ad-aware and spybot 1.3, cleared out numerous "objects" identified as trackers, usually cookies. The computer is 4+ years old, I know it is basically out of date but would rather get help fixing what I hope is a common problem rather than get new hardware. I checked the drive for errors, the system fixed two, and de-fraged the disk. A small improvement was noticed.
Thanks, Eric

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
odds are you're still infected....

follow the link to the MALWARE forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....then, if the problem persists, return here and we'll try a few things.

ejmco7415

ejmco7415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I looked at the suggestions in the malware forum and will run some scans tonight, with update tomorrow. Thanks.

ejmco7415

ejmco7415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran a number of the programs suggests by "Geeks to go" and have the following results. When running Ad-aware I found that the initial part, the first 1000 objects, went very slowly. I believe this is the memory scan section. Some of the files that took a long time were the cab files, ( c:\windows\options\cabs\IIs4_02.cab, c:\windows\options\cabs\IIs4_03.cab, ...). I also think that some files in c:\windows\temp, called java.cab, took a long time. Ad-aware found a cookie for zedo.com and some cookies tied to Kazaa that I quarinteened. Spybot, with out the Exploit fix did not find any problems. Spyware Doctor found a lot of infections, 416, most of them tied to "WildTangent", NewDotNet, EasyWebSearch and the files, c:\windows\NDNuninstall5_50.exe , ..._80.exe and ..._88.exe. I presume those are tied to NewDotNet. CWShredder found a lot of junk tied to Kazaa and Morpheus. I tried the uninstall and a library was missing. I wonder if I can re-install them in the same location and then un-install them? CWShredder also found CWS.hputi and Bonzi Buddy. I am attaching the log file for Hijackthis and, the log from Spyware appended, about 1/4 of the way down. This morning the PC is working better but cleaning up the re-cycle still takes longer. Any additional ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric

Attached Files