Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange problem when running world of warcraft

• Please log in to reply

kouper

kouper

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I need a little help with this. My pc is running Vista home premium, I have 2gb of ram, 300gb hard drive. Im runnin an intel quadcore duo not sure of the speed though, an nvidia 8600 and its a gateway....

My problem is with world of warcraft, and only world of warcraft. When Im running the game every few minutes its like my computer died, I will drop from 50 or so frames per second to 1 or 2. It stays like that for a few minutes and then it goes back to 50 frames per second. Ive tried reducing my settings, Ive removed all mods and deleted my What the... folder. Ive reinstalled the game, and still it happens. It only started happening a couple weeks ago, no big changes in any of my net/gaming habits. Ive checked my hardware everything is running fine. And this is the only game it happens on, I can run spore at nearly full settings with a constant frame rate all day long. Crysis doesn't have issues beyond my sucking at FPS games...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I've tried updating all my drivers.

Edited by kouper, 01 October 2008 - 10:34 AM.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Might sound like a dumb question but do you notice these hicks when entering major cities/populated areas or just randomly everywhere?

kouper

kouper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Might sound like a dumb question but do you notice these hicks when entering major cities/populated areas or just randomly everywhere?

Sorry, been out of town for a ridiculous amount of time, just saw the response. Nope, its just randomly everywhere. It sometimes happens in big cities and raids, or in a one on one fight with a boar, or while just idling out in the middle of nowhere....

Rinky

Rinky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer was having these "cycles" of high and low cpu usage.
The anti-virus (in my case FPROT) was causing the cycling...sort of.
removed recommendation for registry cleanerfiles missing and what not due to the fact that I had moved (copy-pasted)
a lot of directories that I should have not been messing with (this is why the Aanti-virus program was having a hard time trying to keep up.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We never suggest the use of registry cleaners here. Contrary to what they lead you to believe, cleaning your registry will not make your PC faster, and having orphaned registry entries causes no harm. In fact, you run a far greater risk of damaging your registry beyond repair when using a registry cleaner.

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Things that should be TURNED DOWN if you're having issues with framerate in WoW

-Shadow quality (Generating shadows for all the people in a city, especially Dalaran, is HUGE work for a video card.)
-Ground clutter radius and density (un-necessary framerate bogdowns that really don't add to the game one bit)
-Resolution (this really affects framerate, and doesn't hurt your quality too much if you go down just one step in resolution)
-Multisampling (if you're on 4x or higher it's probably the issue. I keep mine on 1x all the time. There's no reason for this in WoW is my personal opinion)

A few other tricks I've picked up:

-Browse to C:\Program Files (x86 is here if you run 64-bit vista)\World of Warcraft. Right-click WoW.exe and go to Properties. Hit Compatibility and turn these on: Turn off visual themes, Turn off desktop composition. For some cases turning on Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode actually REALLY helped framerate.
-This actually boosted mine a lot even when my framerate was ok. In-game at anytime type this in: /console maxfps 0 Now hit Enter. Check your framerate.

Hope this helps -- I'm an avid WoW player and have picked up a lot of tricks for boosting the framerate on this specific game, over the years.