Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving Images in Open Office

• Please log in to reply

Scotcov

Scotcov

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I like to convert articles from the Internet into PDF or OO 2.4 files. I know how to show images in OO, I just don't know how to permanently save them.
I've stumbled through the help files, but can't find the answer.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
When you have the image open in Open Office click on file on the top left and choose save as then choose the location where you want to save it.

Scotcov

Scotcov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the response keithr128. I didn't explain myself well enough, though.
What I want to do is save an html article that has pictures in it as an ODT file.
The writing is there when I reopen it, but the pictures are not.
I'm sure there's a way to embed those images, I just can't figure it out.
Thanks again keithr128.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
What browser are you using when you save these pages? I am trying to recreate the problem but so far each time I have saved the page and then opened it up with open office the images are still there.

Scotcov

Scotcov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Firefox 3.0.3.
If I keep the original html folder containing the images, OO will link to them, and they'll appear in OO. But if I delete the html image folder, then they won't appear.
After converting to PDFs, the images do appear after deleting the html folder, because they're embedded (if that's the proper term) in the PDF file.
I have hundreds of articles, which is why I don't want all those image folders around.
Thanks again for your efforts, keithr128.

Scotcov

Scotcov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, after googling for quite awhile, rephrasing my queries over and over, I found the answer. From OO's forums:
" Edit > Links. This will give you a list of all the linked files in the document. Just select the links you want to embed in the document and choose "Break Link". Writer will store the image data inside the Writer document and "break" (forget about) the link to the Internet file."

Edited by Scotcov, 05 October 2008 - 05:13 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I'm glad you got your problem solved. :)