Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Live USB Ports in Shutdown Mode

• Please log in to reply

stevenblanduk

stevenblanduk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

My retail company is considering buying a surge protector from a supplier with 5 plug outlets that also has a USB connection. The idea is that you plug all your peripherals into the surge protector and the USB into your computer and when you shutdown your computer the USB triggers a switch in the surge protector that switches off the peripherals thus saving you from having to switch off each peripheral at the wall.
My problem with it is that when used with my Mac Mini it doesn't work because the USB ports are still active when the Mac is shutdown. This means that the USB wont tell the surge protector to shut down and the peripherals will stay switched on. All of the computers I have used in the office don't have live USB ports when they are shut down so the product works, but these are all the same type of Dell and so I would expect the same result.
I know it is the motherboard that controls where power goes but what I really need to know is what percentage of computers on the market have active USB ports in shutdown mode. I have done an extensive search online to find an approximate figure but can't find any useful information. If the percentage is over 20% then I don't think we should sell the product as we will get high returns.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or could make an informed guess?

Cheers

Steve

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
This forum is for home-users with PC problems, not a consultancy for advising on sound/unsound business decisions.

stevenblanduk

stevenblanduk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Errrm...Right. OK . But if anyone wants to be friendly and help another human being (and ultimately other PC users) then feel free. I'm not forcing anyone to reply. I thought it might be interesting for other people to know the answer seeing as there doesn't seem to be an answer anywhere online at the moment.
Blimey.