Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Image Name System running at 65-70% constantly

• Please log in to reply

colbyclay

colbyclay

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Good evening all,
Recently, my computer started to run very very slowly. At first I thought that it might be malware and posted on Geeks to go Malware forum (http://www.geekstogo...0011.html&st=15). After going through everything, that seems to not be the case. The person helping me thought that it "might be a hardware problem, (although I don't think it is memory based) or an Operating System error." So now I come to you seeking help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Colbyclay

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
See these for possible ideas....

Some say to remove the usb from device manager and allow it to reinstall.

Try downloading the Process Explorer

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Find that process Image Name System, right click it, select properties... then hit the THREADS tab and see if you can find a thread in there that is using a high amount of cpu. Post that image name here. If it happens to be USB then you need to reinstall your usb drivers.

colbyclay

colbyclay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey AitrusSkyy,
The thread that was using the most (~35%) was ACPI.sys+0x10b10

Thanks for any help...

Cheers,
Colbyclay

Edited by colbyclay, 03 October 2008 - 07:26 AM.

colbyclay

colbyclay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok. I've read a lot of information on this issue. It can be a lot of things. Hardware failure, outdated drivers, a need to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft ACPI.

Lets start with your drivers and make sure they are up to date. Please list your computer make and model for example "Dell Dimension 4600"

colbyclay

colbyclay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey AitrusSkyy,
A friend of mine helped me build it. Here are a list of the components:

Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6300

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

A-DATA 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1908K - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EDIT:
I removed my second HD and everything is running super low right now (6% CPU usage). I think I found the problem!

Edited by colbyclay, 15 October 2008 - 07:16 PM.