Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting rid of an old pc

• Please log in to reply

Stymied

Stymied

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just bought a new MacBook. A couple of people are interested in my 5 year old Dell for their own use.
I have routinely cleared the cookies and blocked most of them every time I was logging. I also routinely ran the ATF Cleaner and Did AdAware scans. I was also protected by regularly updated Symantec Antivirus and Firewall, which I ran in place of the Windows Firewall.

How vulnerable could I be to personal data being exposed or otherwise compromised if I give the old machine away? Also is there an easy way to transfer the license for the software to a new owner, so all updates are no longer registered to me (change the name associated with the computer)?

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
If your giving it away the safest way would be to format hard drive and reinstall windows

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Run Dban on it (in my signature). It writes 1 and 0's to the drive. Reformat and reload the OS

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Another option would be to keep the hard drive yourself, and completely dismantle it yourself (have fun with a hammer).

You're giving a free computer away, they can buy themselves a new hard drive.

Just another thought to the equation, although DBAN is definitely a good choice.

Troy