Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6.0

• Please log in to reply

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, thanks for the time.
A similar problem to one with Outlook.
Operating system; XP Pro SP2:
I created two new accounts; one as an administrator [Keith] and the other [Jocelyne] as a general user.
After system reboot the old accounts were no longer accessable?
The guest account [Jocelyne] works fine and Outlook Express loads and reads the emails for this new account.
However Outlook Express does not work in the new Administrator account [Keith].
This cound be due to the fact that after the new accounts were created I transfered some files from the old 'Administrator' account to Jocelyne and Keith as appropriate. During this process I did delete some old files and did recieve a warning but as OE worked in Jocelyne I thought that it would also work in Keith [now new admin].
I have run sfc /scannow but this has made no diference.
I have created a new profile for mail under Control Panel - Mail but cannot open up the Account Options under Outlook Express as it locks and give the message [Not Responding] in the title bar of OE.
Please note Outlook 2002 [XP] works fine in the new admoin account [Keith] and I can download emails for the 'Keith' account through this program.
With thanks for your help.
Lumpy2

Advertisements

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Lumpy2,

A few questions, all for the Keith account:

Has OE worked at all since setting up the account?

Do you get any error messages, other than "Not Responding"?

Does OE open and start to do anything or does it immediately freeze?

Is there more than 1 Identity in OE in this account?

Do you know the location of the OE Message Store folder?

Do you have any experience working in the Windows Registry?

Please let me know on the above.

T.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

thanks for the help.

Yes OE worked well before the second account wes opened.

Also OE works fine in the second account - Jocelyne

When OE opens in the Keith [Admin] account it presents a screen but no Tool Bar

No other error messages appear except 'Not Responding'

I do not think that there is more than one identity. I have gone into the 'Mail' menu in Control Panel while in the Keith [Admin] account and only one account presents

I have found the location of the message store folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Keith Harris\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{B0925AFC-0EF4-4251-B4E9-0788A0F17914}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I have done some work in the registry but am a novice.

Thanks for your help.

KH

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi KH,

I'm just guessing here, but I think what happened is when shuffling things around setting up the new User Account, the Identity that is accessed in the Keith account developed problems.
The OE program itself is most likely fine, as the Jocelyne account can run it. That would be why sfc /scannow had no effect. That would only work on corrupt or missing program files and not on an individual Identity.
Creating a new Identity in OE for the Keith account may solve the problem.
That said, I think running through the steps of starting OE with a corrupt Identity would be a good place to start.

First thing is to go into the Message Store folder and check the DBX files to make sure they aren't marked Read Only.
Click Edit>Select all.
Right click one of the highlighted files and click Properties on the menu.
Make sure the Read Only attribute is un-checked. If it's checked, clear it and OK, then try opening OE.

Also, assuming this was a working Identity and there are messages contained in it you would like to keep, while in the Message Store make a quick backup of the DBX files.
Click Edit>Select All.
Click Edit>Copy
Go to the Desktop and right click an empty area.
Select New>Folder from the menu. Name it Mailbackup.
Open Mailbackup and click Edit>Paste.
There should now be a copy of everything that was in the Message Store in the folder Mailbackup.
Close Mailbackup.

Next would be to open OE in the Jocelyne account and click File>Identities>Manage Identities and see if the Keith Identity is listed in the Identity Manager.
If it is, it will give a couple options for forcing a new Identity in the Keith Account.

T.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

Checked the DBX file for 'Keith' - old account and checked 'read only' - set to open.

I made a copy of the other files in this folder then checked each one to see if it was read only. I made sure that all files had the 'read only' option unchecked.

Switched user to Jocelyne and opened OE.

Keith Identity was not listed there.

When I first had trouble woith OE after setting up Jocelyne 'H' I did delete what I thought were redundant directories; Administrator and the old Keith account. [At least there were two [2] Keith accounts listed in 'C' under Documents & Settings.

Current directories under Documents & Settings:

All Users
Default User
Administrator [removed]
Keith [removed]
Keith H
Jocelyne H
Local Service
Network Service

The new accounts created were Keith 'H' and Jocelyne 'H' and are the only identities listed under DOC & Settings.

It could be possible that in removing the old Administrator and Keith directory I have lost necessary files for OE in the new Keith H account or moved files that are necessary for the new identities?

With thanks, and apologies for the confusion.

KH

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi KH,

Just a little confusing, but I think I've got it.
You created 2 new accounts, Keith H and Jocelyn H. OE has never worked in the Keith H account.
You removed the original Keith account and deleted the directory for it under Docs and Settings.

You made sure the DBX files in C:\Documents and Settings\Keith Harris\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{B0925AFC-0EF4-4251-B4E9-0788A0F17914}\Microsoft\Outlook Express (which I assume is the Message Store for the Keith H account and not the original Keith account?) are NOT set to read only and made a copy of them. This last probably being a moot point if the OE Identity in Keith H has never worked. Old messages would have been in the Message Store located in the original Keith account and been deleted. Maybe still in the Recycle bin so they could be recovered?

Anyway, none of this is causing me to think it's not simply a corrupt Identity, so the next thing to do is see if there is a corrupt file or two in the Message Store folder.
Open the Message Store and delete all the DBX files in it. Don't delete the folder, just the files. Make a note of what exactly is in there first. Don't worry. If I'm correct with the above assessment, they don't contain anything. Plus, they'll be in the Recycle bin if needed and you've also made copies.
Now try to open OE. If it freezes again, check in the Message Store folder to see what, if any, DBX files have been created.

T.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

RE-installed XP Pro, SP2, SP3 and all software.
Computer stable with no hardware errors in My Computer, Hardware Manager

Only two accounts present Keith H and Jocelyne 'H'.

Current directories under Documents & Settings:

All Users
Default User
Keith H
Jocelyne H
Local Service
Network Service

Initially OE6 worked in Jocelyne H and not Keith 'H'.

After several 'Not Responding' notices in Keith 'H' Logon OE6 gave the reply - "failed to open Email" and asked if I wanted to open that Email. I said yes, and then OE6 works fine in Keith 'H'.

However OE6 now stalls in Jocelyne 'H'.

I checked 'Mail' in Control Panel and found no identies present so created an identity in Keith H and Jocelyne H 'Logon' accounts?

Created an identity in each account, Keith 'H' and Jocelyne 'H' however OE6 still not working in Jocelyne 'H' although it did once when I selected Right click 'Read e-Mail' from statup menu OE6 icon?

Thanks for your time and help.

KH

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Huh, Keith H is working and now Jocelyn H doesn't?
The Mail in the Control panel is for Outlook Identities, not Outlook Express, so it won't matter for the current problem.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Guess you didn't refresh your browser so I'll assume that's right.
Good news is that it looks like something is messing with the files. That will save you a trip into the Registry for now.
My first suspect would be SP3. That's been known to cause some very strange problems with OE.
Next suspect would be your AV's E-mail scanner.
Both can cause moderate to severe corruption in the DBX files.
Let me know what's working with OE and if it's working properly.
T.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

Thanks for your time.

At present OE6 does not work in Jocelyne 'H' but does in Keith 'H'

During the install of XP Pro I was asked if I wanted to set up an Administrator account and password. This I did and then two accounts Keith 'H' and Jocelyne 'H'. I now have the following directory structure under Documents & Settings:

All Users
Default User
Keith H
Jocelyne H
Local Service
Network Service

I have got OE6 to work, on occasions, in Jocelyne 'H' but not consistantly. I think if I log onto Jocelyne 'H' FIRST and go to OE6 icon in Start and right click 'Read e-mail' it sometimes opens OK, but this is not consistant. Definitely if Keith 'H' account in open [Loged on] OE6 in Jocelyne 'H' will not work?

I put Computer Associates AntiVirus scanner into sleep mode but this did noit make any difference to Jocelyne 'H'.

When OE6 opens in Jocelyne 'H' the screen layout appears with the top Tool Bar, 'File --- Help' but not the 'Create -- Find' icons. The From - Subject Recieved section of the screen is blank as well as the divider between Email listings and content?

When I click on 'File' on the Tool Bar the top bar lists the (Not Responding) message.

It might be simpler to go back to ONE [1] account for the computer but I need to have two [2] seperate email addresses working and file emails into two [2] sets of folders in the same OE6 screen. Is this possible?

I don't mind instaling XP again, without SP3, and setup two seperate Email accounts in OE6.

I would also appreciate help in the re-install with or without an Admin account.

Thanks again for your help.

KH

PS: will be away until Monday night [AUST 6th Oct]

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

Shutdown PC both accounts closed.

Restart PC

Logon to Jocelyne 'H' account FIRST

Open OE6 in Jocelyne 'H": OE6 opens OK, Read Emails OK - Send Email [2] to Keith 'H"

WITHOUT closing OE6 in Jocelyne 'H' - Switch User to Keith 'H"

Open OE6 in Keith 'H': OE6 opens OK - Read Emails - recieved two emails sent from Jocelyne 'H' - who is still logged on

Send one [1] Email to Jocelyne 'H' from Keith 'H': Sent OK

Switch to Jocelyne 'H'

NOTE: OE6 still OPEN, click on 'send/revieve' Email [1] recieved OK from Keith 'H"

However if I shutdown and restart the PC and Log on to Keith 'H' FIRST, open OE6 in Keith 'H' then switch to Jocelyne 'H" and open OE6 in Jocelyne 'H' OE6 will not open correctly or read Emails?

Thanks for your time,

KH

PS: Will be away from homw until Monday evening; 6th Oct AEST

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Keith,

Should you reinstall XP without SP3? NO If the only problem with Windows is OE.
When some people install SP3, they reboot and discover problems. Once the problems are fixed, SP3 is unlikely to cause further problems as it's the installation process that seems to mess things up, rather than an ongoing conflict.
Besides, it's only a suspect and because OE is now working in Keith and a similar problem is developing in Jocelyne, while the guilt isn't proven, the CA AV is moving up on the list.

It might be simpler to go back to ONE [1] account for the computer but I need to have two [2] seperate email addresses working and file emails into two [2] sets of folders in the same OE6 screen. Is this possible?

YES. It's even simple to do. Each OE Identity can have multiple E-mail Accounts
Going back to a single User Account is up to you but not necessary for having two mail accounts in the same OE Identity.
You can can even do it in both User Accounts if you like, or in one or the other. The OE Identities are independent of each other so you can have the same E-mail accounts set up in different Identities.

Now to what's going on with OE. You have a problem with the Identities in OE, not to be confused with the Windows User Accounts.
I'm betting from what's happening it's a corrupt DBX file or two, but it could also be in the Registry keys.
The Identity that was accessed through the Keith Account started off with a severe corruption that wouldn't allow the program to open. By accessing the program in a different way, OE managed to create a new file(s) or Reg key to replace the corrupt one(s) and enabled it to start working.
The Identity that is accessed through the Jocelyn Account either had a mild corruption that enabled it to work for a while and now it's getting worse, or it started out OK and is developing corruption (this is where the AV would move up on the suspect list a bit more).

If you want to leave the User Accounts and OE Identities as they are and fix the Jocelyn Identity, then give the following a try.

From your descriptions of what happens, I'm strongly suspecting a corrupt Inbox.dbx.
To check if that's all it is, log into the Jocelyn Account.
Open OE.
If it starts. click Tools>Options>General tab.
Uncheck "When starting, go directly to my Inbox" and also uncheck "Send and Recieve messages at Startup". Click Apply.
Click the Maintenance tab>Store folder button and find the location of the Message Store for this Identity.
Click Cancel to return to the Options and then click OK.
Close OE and navigate to the Message Store folder for the Jocelyn Identity and make a quick backup of it like you did for the Keith Identity.

If it's a corrupt Inbox.dbx, you should be able to access OE normally in either User Account. The program should load fine and let you use the tools and menus.
Give it a try and see if it works consistently.
If you open the Inbox to view messages or try to receive mail, it may freeze as it's been doing. If it does, but works fine until you try doing one of those, if you manage to get the Inbox open, move any messages you want into a new folder in OE of your own creation.
Close OE.
Then go into the Jocelyn Message Store and delete the Inbox.dbx.
Try OE again (switching between User Accounts as you've been doing) and see if the problem persists.
If it does, the next thing to try would be to create a New Identity in OE. That will create all new DBX files and Reg keys.

T.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

Progress at last.

Discovered that if both accounts are open 'logged on' OE6 will work in Keith 'H' but not the Jocelyne 'H' account

If I logged out of Keith 'H' and reopened Jocelyne 'H', OE6 in Jocelyne 'H' would work OK.

Therefore in the creation of the new accounts and the move of the old Keith log-on files to the new accounts possibly mixed up the DBX files and corrupted them.

Followed instructions and cleared both Inbox.dbx files [ after I printed copies of all necessary Emails] and made backups of the old Inbox.dbx files under 'OE6-Restored' folder.

OE6 now works in both accounts and it does not matter which one is openned first - JOY!

Last, but not least, I have been getting a message 'WMS.idle needs to be closed' on PC shutdown.

This is possibly something to do with SP3 as I never had this message with SP2. It first appeared when the SP3 install 'stalled' and I had to do a cold 'restart' using the reset button on the PC.

Again many thanks for the help with the OE6 problem.

Much appreciated,

KH

Found location of Inbox.dbx saved old and deleted Inbox for Jocelyne 'H'

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Keith,

It's good to hear OE is working properly. Looks like it was a bad Inbox file. :)
If the problem comes back and you have your AV E-mail scanner enabled, that would pretty much confirm that the E-mail scanner is the cause. It could also be a one time thing and you won't have any more problems.
If you need any more help, let me know.

I don't know anything about the WMS.idle so I did a quick Google search. Search Results
From the couple I looked at, I think it might be related to something wrong in MS Office, but like I said, I don't know.
If nothing looks likely from the search results, the best bet would be to post a question about it in the Windows XP forum.

T.

Lumpy2

Lumpy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, T.

Thanks for your long and patient assistance, it is appreciated.

Yes all looks OK and I also found that Nero might also be involved in the WMS.idle error.

I have another question relating to disk recovery but will ask that in the appropriate forum.

Thanks again,

KH