Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New System Build -shut down issues

• Please log in to reply

stimuli

stimuli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have just done a refurb on my old trusty P4 PC, added a new MSI mobo (MS-7536) 2 GB of DDR2 667 RAM, new Samsung spinrite 500GB HDD, and new MSI pci-16 vid card. Used my existing soundcard & LANboy case & recent Thermaltake 420W PSU and Logitech usb mouse & MS ergo usb kybd. No lgitech s/w is used.
Installed Win XP Pro/SP3 yesterday without issue & began putting in my usual array of applications. I have ACPI enabled
in the bios & in the Power tab under properties. I am used to APM from my other setups.

Anyway, my problem is...the PC cannot be shut off in the normal method via the Start button. It shows the logoff screens, but then it stops with a "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen which I have not seen since my Win98 days.
And if I push the Power button, it immediately restarts the PC. Only way to turn it off is using the PSU switch at the "now safe to turn off" screen prompt.

Did some research on the Web & found a suggestion to set a registry value from 0 to 1 under the Power something ( am typing from memory here so don't remember details, only that I did it but it didn't change anything)
Would love to be able to shut down this PC in the normal way.

I searched on this topic, but couldn't find anything that helps with what I am seeing

Edited by stimuli, 02 October 2008 - 08:50 AM.

Advertisements

stimuli

stimuli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
so..nobody can suggest anything ? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
No, I haven't seen that screen since a long time ago either.

If the switch on the back is working, then you could do that all the time. It is annoying, though...

Often I'll find shutting down issues related to a poor quality PSU. That Thermaltake isn't the best choice by a long shot.

That being said, the motherboard is pretty old (socket 478). I'm just wondering if it actually doesn't support automatically turning itself off at that stage? I can't seem to find any information on that, although it may (or may not) be the culprit.

Cheers

Troy

stimuli

stimuli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks, Troy.

The mobo is actually fairly recent, something MSI put out for those of us still hanging onto our P4s. It supports PCI-e & DDR2, w/ an Intel 945G chipset.
But yeah, not much info about it anywhere. The Thermaltake PSU has worked flawlessly for me since I have owned it (over one year)
I created a "shutdown" desktop icon, which takes me to the same screen, but at least I can power it down with the front power switch now.
Still, would sure like to have it the way it was before.

Can you recommend a fairly affordable PSU? Running 1 X SATA HDD, 2X PATA drives, 2X SATA dvd writers, 2 X 667DDR2 RAM, MSI NX8400GS vid

Cheers,

Chris

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
For your system, I would be tempted to recommend the Antec Earthwatts series of PSUs. Something like the 430W or 500W should be a great unit. I value the high quality PSUs that Antec use, the Earthwatts range are highly efficient and stable.

I don't know whether or not it will make a difference in the shutting down procedure, but I have seen a PSU upgrade fix some shutting down problems in the past.

Cheers

Troy

stimuli

stimuli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I got it figured out. When I did the new install of XP, it somehow didn't set the computer up as ACPI compliant.
So I wiped the drive & re-did it, and now am good to go. Not sure what exactly I left out the first time, as I did it both times the same way.

Anyways, may thanks for your help!

Chris

Will keep yr advice on PSUs in mind for future use!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
ACPI compliance, hey?

I think I learnt something today!

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

Troy