Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidentally Denied Security Permissions

• Please log in to reply

Dream_Angel

Dream_Angel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was setting up an account on my laptop for my little brother, so he can use it whenever I'm at work.
I have an external hard drive with, well "adult" stuff on it, and also TONS of sensitive files that i use and cannot risk getting lost.

So i navigated to the place i want to set access only for myself and not him, which is "E:\DAVID", i right clicked, properties, security, and denied permissions for normal users, and allowing access to administrators, owners, creators, myself (wow i have my own group lol).

then i logged into his account and navigated to the place, and nothing is showing up, good, now he cant access files.
Then i try on my account, and then i cant get into it either. it seems ive locked myself out of permissions too.

is there any "magical undo button" for security? :)

-----
EDIT
i denied to users because im the administrator, so with that in mind, after clicking all the buttons in my account, i found out that Advanced Permissions can take it back off.

Well ok, that was the undo button i was looking for, but can someone tell me how to achieve what i was trying to do please?

-----
EDIT
i think im more of a computer geek than i thought i was. I figured out how do add groups and set permissions, and its working fine right now.
Well im done now, so if you all want to go ahead and lock/delete this topic, i dont mind.

Edited by Dream_Angel, 02 October 2008 - 12:35 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Glad we could help. :)

As long as he's a limited user, and you're an administrator your scheme will work just fine.

*admin ignores the "adult" reference. :)