Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do i nedd 64 bit xp to run 4gb of ram ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
My cousin has just got a new quad core monster and has given me his old Dell Dimension for me to use as a DAW (digital audio workstation.

Its got a P4 3GHZ cpu and has 2 gig of ram in it, (4 x 512 ).
Apparently the MB will support up to 4gb of ram but my cousin told me i would have to run the pc with a 64 bit operating system for it to be recongnised in XP.

Dells website says that it will support 4gb and doesnt mention 64 bit OS at all, , but does have to say

" Your computer supports a maximum of 4 GB of memory when you use four 1-GB DIMMs. Current operating systems, such as Microsoft® Windows® XP, can only use a maximum of 4 GB of address space; however, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 4 GB. Certain components within the computer require address space in the 4-GB range. Any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory. "

Could someone please enlighten me a little please ? ?

Many thanks, kev

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You can use any amount of RAM in a 32 bit OS that your board will support, however the max that Windows will read (and use) is ~3.25 GB. If you want to utilize more after that you need to go to a 64 bit OS.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
So good old XP will run 3gb without anu problems, if mb supports, , , fantastic a 3ghz cpu and 3gig of ram will be more than enough for my humble recording needs.

Thankyou for your advice jt.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prob :)