Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some WP files open in Vista as a blank page

• Please log in to reply

jfrbc

jfrbc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a new Toshiba notebook with Vista Home Premium three months ago. Since then I've lost three files written in WP that I know of. The files are both on a flashdrive and on the c: drive. When I try to open these three files, the page is blank. However, the directory lists them with a normal size (e.g. 49KB) which makes me think they are still there. When this happens to the copy on the flashdrive, it also happens to the copy on the c: drive.

I keep all my document files on a flashdrive, which I use on two different computers. I copy them to the c: drive as a back up.

On my former Dell notebook with Xp, I wrote in WP8 and saved to 5.1 I transferred all these files from the flashdrive three months ago when I bought the Toshiba with Vista. I have opened many of these in WP 8, 10 and X3 without problem, as well as created new files.

However, three important files are only giving me a blank page when I open them.

The first time this happened the file was a new one created in WP 10 and saved to WP5.1. When I tried to open it, I got a blank page.

The second time, the file was one I transferred from the old Dell (Xp). When I tried to open it in 8, 10 or X3, I got a blank page. I took both files to an office computer I use, which still has Xp. Again I got a blank page.

The third file contains an article I spent a month writing in WP10 and saving to WP5.1. I worked on this every day, opening the copy on the flashdrive. I copied it up on the c: drive as a backup. Three days ago when I tried to write on the page, it went gray and I got the hourglass. After half an hour of waiting, I did ctrl-alt-del and closed out WP. I then opened WP10 and opened all of the pages that I had been working on. All opened but my article. I got a blank page. The directory said there was a normal size file. I then tried to open the older version (five days older) on the c: drive. Again I got a blank page. I took the flashdrive to the Xp computer and got a blank page for that article (and the first two).

How do I recover my article? And how do I stop this from happening again?

Advertisements

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
What is WP?

Anyway I had a similar thing happen to me in Microsoft Frontpage and I had to open the html page in a notepad and copy it back into the blank document to publish.

jfrbc

jfrbc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
WP = Word Perfect

I opened the document in notepad but only saw gibberish

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry I don't know about WP