Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer stops working/applications freeze.

• Please log in to reply

thoughtparalysis

thoughtparalysis

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Let me preface this by saying that my computer is pretty sucky, but it is all I have so I make do. It's a Dell Inspiron 5100 running Windows XP home edition SP3.

A few weeks ago my hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. Ever since then I've been installing drivers and updating things, hoping to get my computer up to speed. Since I reinstalled Windows, I've only installed a few applications; Google Chrome, Firefox, Zune, WinRar, the Sims, and Adobe Reader. That's pretty much all I have on my computer besides Windows components. Anyway. To the problem

I'll be browsing Chrome and it will freeze, or I'll be listening to music on Zune and it will stop playing the music, but the progress bar will continue to move. I've also had problems closing these programs once they freeze. I can't end the program or the process with the task manager or restart. I end up having to hard reset it. I don't know if you can help on this one, but an attempt would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I would start by running the Windows Error Checker on C: drive to fix any possible file system errors or bad sectors.
Right-click C: drive icon in My Computer, select 'Properties', click 'Tools' tab.
Click on the "Check Now" button, tick both options (it's essential you do that), then click 'Start'.
Click 'Yes' to allow Error Checker to run next time Windows restarts -- then restart Windows.

Edited by phillip22, 04 October 2008 - 02:56 AM.