Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Antivirus 2009

• Please log in to reply

carissa_lee

carissa_lee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've already dealt with Antivirus XP- 2008 on my personal laptop, but when I got to work today a coworker's desktop had the 2009 version on his computer. It's advanced quickly enough on his desktop that it wont allow me to go to any website where I can download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software that I used on my laptop to remove this virus. I tried downloading the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware onto my desktop and transferring it with a flash drive, but I think I'm missing something. Is there a certain way to transfer files of this sort? When I copied everything from the Program Files/Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware file on my computer to the flash drive to put on his desktop, I try to open the file on his computer and it gives me an error message. I assume that's because I've just looked over an important file I needed to transfer from another part of the computer (something to do with the install?), but I have no idea how to find that.

Any ideas on what I could have forgotten, and where or how to find it?

I also had another question that has to do with this virus. His computer has Firefox as well as IE - do viruses differentiate between the two? Or does it effect both? I've only tried using IE to download the Malwarebytes, and have left his computer off since to avoid the virus from getting any worse. I have yet to try going through Firefox to download the Malwarebytes. Should I try this instead of using the flash drive? Or is that pointless?

I wanted to note that everything that I've learned about computers and viruses has been 'self-taught', through sites like this, so thank you for taking the time out to help :) It's definetely appreciated!

Edited by carissa_lee, 03 October 2008 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It will be necessary to actually download the 'setup' file for Malwarebytes to the flash drive, insert it into the 'problem' system and then double click it to run. It shoud install and offer to update. Once updated use it to scan and remove.

It is not possible to just copy the 'program files' from one computer to another. The application must be installed--have the proper Registry entries created - in order to function.

And yes- I doubt that switching browsers would have any effect. The computer is infected, not just IE.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When I install Malwarebytes from a CD or flash drive I always get the error message for some reason. Just ignore it and continue with the installation.

carissa_lee

carissa_lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Our pleasure but we would also like to know the results of the instructions we gave.

carissa_lee

carissa_lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for the insanely late reply. Everything worked out, I got it removed, and now I'm back again for the same virus on another computer. This thing is a pain, it's hit 6 computers that I know of, 2 of them being mine. At least I know how to get rid of it now. Thanks again.