Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP home, SP3 - won't hibernate properly

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
My Pavilion has started behaving oddly with hibernate and occasionally standby - rather like others' problems.

The control panel > Power options can be set to, say, desktop with certain options. Then next day it has set itself to Laptop, or Energy Star!

Most times I hibernate the machine at night, and check that it has indeed gone into hibernate mode, with the power switch light out. Then, sometime in the night, it switches itself back on and when I return in the morning the monitor is alive and the computer running.

Weird....

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
What is the make and model number of your PC...

For example "HP Pavilion 93400g"

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 04 October 2008 - 07:26 AM.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Sorry - it's a HP Pavilion model t760a, 3.2 GHz, 2.5GB RAM. And I *have* installed the "Large RAM hibernate fix" <g>. I run XP home, SP3.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I don't know exactly what the ram fix is you are talking about... However going into hibernation mode, then finding the pc awake usually means you have allowed a piece of hardware to "wake" the computer from standby (possibly hibernation but I am not sure)...

Like this for example...
http://img509.images...mage=sysmr0.jpg

In any case the only thing I see related to your issue via the hp site is a BIOS update that fixes the following.

# Enhancements: Resolves boot issue when HP Photosmart 8250 printer is connected.
# Resolves intermittent issue with resuming from suspend mode.
# Updates processor microcode to support newer Intel CPUs.

It's possible that could fix the issue but I am unsure.

If you attempt the bios update you need to #1 Consider backing up your important data. #2 Read the instructions on it, basically DO NOT do anything during the update and DO NOT turn off the pc until it is done. You should also check the BIOS version number to make sure you do not already have it :).

I will re-search other possibilities for you and post back in a bit.

http://h10025.www1.h...;product=435847

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
>> I don't know exactly what the ram fix is you are talking about... However going into hibernation mode, then finding the pc awake usually means you have allowed a piece of hardware to "wake" the computer from standby (possibly hibernation but I am not sure)... <<

I had to install a little patch (IIRC a Micro$oft patch) when I upgraded my RAM from the original 512 MB to 2.5GB - apparently there's a problem with SP2 and above in XP when you go above 1.5GB RAM and try to hibernate. I intended to append the file for you but it's 2.1Mb and the GtG limit is, I see, 500K.

>>In any case the only thing I see related to your issue via the hp site is a BIOS update that fixes the following.<<

I visited the indicated site and will have a look at what BIOS I have - but playing with my BIOS and registry are things I don't like to think about <g>. I will keep this on the back burner as a last resort if the hibernation can't be fixed elsewhere.

I do have a network connection 1394 on my properties, although I don't have anything firewired to the computer. So I have disabled it and will see if that does anything.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
>>I do have a network connection 1394 on my properties, although I don't have anything firewired to the computer. So I have disabled it and will see if that does anything<<

That does nothing to help!

I also tried quitting Zonealarm (in case automatic updating somehow wakes up the comfuser from hibernation) and hibernating - but it still switches itself back on after an hour or two.

Another weird thing is that I can set a power saving option (say desktop) and when I check it next day it has changed to another option. This occurs at random. And if I try to save a power option I always get the error message "Indicates two revision levels are incompatible". Just what THAT means is unknown!

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Give this a shot...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302713

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the fix doesn't work!

I deleted the portable/laptop setting, changed the power settings and saved. When I checked again the power saving was again changed to another one - and the saved profile had ceased to exist.

On the other subject, I *think* I'm getting close to hacking it. I run Counterspy, so I stopped it and hibernated: the hibernation stayed this time. I tried doing it several times and each time it was OK. I am going to hibernate again tonight but only disable the automatic updates of Counterspy to see if that was the real culprit.

Will report back!

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Counterspy... hmm I have not dealt with this software before. How is it working out for you?

It could indeed be the culprit mixed in with an active network connection (cable/dsl) that could be the issue.