Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my grpahics card!

• Please log in to reply

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Pretty much says it all in the description, I was wondering if itll work right, what i need to know to make sure its compatible, and i suppose how to install it any thoughts?

PS- I havent bought it yet so...

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there :)

A quick search shows me that the Xpress 200 is an integrated video chipset, so installing the new card should be pretty easy. You'll just need to make sure your motherboard supports PCI-Express.

You may need to disable your integrated video in the BIOS.

Cheers

troy

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks sounds good, and yeah, it says I have a PCI Express x16 slot.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Since your adding a brand new graphics card, I would think that you would want to make sure your power supply is sufficient first. If this was a prebuilt computer, they seem to have a nasty habit of putting a power supply in that has the bare minimum output for the build.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can make use of our "Build Your Own PC" guide and just follow the bit for the graphics card. There's pictures there for you to follow. :)

Troy

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks, yeah it says that the card requires a 300 watt power supply and thats what I have. i'll have to check into the building my own pc thing, thanks guys.

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I didnt see the picture of the video card, um, or how to install it?

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Now add any discrete cards for the build – in our example photo, we have one video card to be installed. Be sure to line up each card properly into the installation slot on the motherboard. Push cards in firm to ensure a proper fit.

Those are the words, and the picture is underneath.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, and before that bit (a crucial point) is that you'll need to prepare the case.

This means you'll need to remove the empty bracket so the slot is open to fit the card in.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Troy

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Oh ok thanks. I bought it should be here, soon, hopefully this week.

Advertisements

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Should be here today....but its...315 pm...and no card yet so...im nervous lol. It's my first time.

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Um well, I installed the new card and everything went smoothly. With the exception of one problem, every now and again my computer restarts its self and when it comes back to the desktop it prompts me that my system has recovered from a serious error.....so....is that bad lol?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would say that's bad, I wonder if it's the driver causing this reboot?

When you installed the card, what drivers did you install for it?

Troy

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well anything that was on the disc my card came with....but since I got home last night after work it hasnt happened yet and it usally happened every 1.5 to 2 hrs so idk...it wasnt happened in awhile. I also looked on the AMD/ATI website for any drivers and i didnt see any new ones so...

BloodScribe

BloodScribe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
As of now I've been on the computer for a few hours, and it hasnt rebooted yet so, I don't know, I guess ill let you know if it happens again and what it prompts me with.