Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New gaming build, suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I've been thinking about building a new machine for a while, my current pc has just had some major issues so now seems like a decent time. It will be used primarily for gaming, cod4, race driver grid, mass effect etc, and fallout 3, farcry 2 when they come out, would like it to last at least a year playing new games at high settings. I will be overclocking but am a complete novice at the moment so id have to do some research and reading up on things, that'd be a future project but id like the scope to do so.

My budget is £600 and i will be using ebuyer for the majority of parts, seems like the cheapest for UK customers. I already have a case (antec nine hundread), Monitor (samsung syncmaster 22"), speakers (logitech z-2300), dvd drive, keyboard and mouse. I have an idea of what i might buy but would like to see what others suggest. So, for £600 i need.

Cpu - not quad - e8400?
Gfx - ati hd4870? - 1gb version worth it for an extra £20?
motherboard - not a clue, preferably SLI for the future, best chipset for gaming?
ram - ddr3 worth it? dont think i can quite afford it yet, also couldn't find many ddr3 mobo's
power supply - not sure what kind of power i need yet
hard drive - 640Gb Sata II HDD - think thats the cheapest 640gb

As i said id like to see what people suggest, the things ive suggested are just thoughts and im totally up for scrapping them. Basically what is the best system i can get for my budget that will see the best performance in games possible. CHEERS :)

EDIT - I will probs be using XP professional 32bit, am i right in saying that 32bit XP limits my ram to 2/3gb? Is 2gb still enough?

Edited by Samjula, 04 October 2008 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements