Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help building first computer!

• Please log in to reply

dan---

dan---

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Could someone with experience please review the following list of items and tell me whether they are all compatible or not? I believe everything is but this is my first build and want to be 100% sure that I've got the right parts. Also, feel free to criticize and of the parts I have.

http://secure.newegg...tNumber=7190914

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You seem to be missing the motherboard and CPU. Are you looking to go Intel or AMD? Dual core or Quad? If you're going to go Quad core, Intel is definitely the way to go. As for dual core...Eh, I haven't been real impressed with the AMD line, so I would still say to go Intel. But that's probably just me. :)

Good choice on the RAM - I really like Kingston. They make good products. :)

dan---

dan---

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What the heck, the motherboard and CPU keep disappearing off my list, here are the direct links.

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115037
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131299

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Dan, welcome to GeeksToGo!

Everything looks great but I would suggest a much better build for the power supply, those from PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, etc. are much better than what you have selected. Good quality power supply gives less risk in frying all your components and also 700W is a bit too much for just a 9800GT, a good 500W would be sufficient.

Here are a few examples of PSU's you should go with. Any from the list would be good for your build (note that the ASUS P5Q-Pro can only do Crossfire or 2 ATI cards, it cannot do SLI or 2 Nvidia cards), just choose the one that's cheapest when you buy your components.
- PC Power & Cooling 500W for $79.99
- Antec Earthwatts 500W for $89.99
- Silverstone 500W for $89.99
- Antec True Power Trio 550W for $79.99
- Corsair 550W for $97.99 (comes with $20 Mail-In-Rebate)

Also, if you can spare $5 more, this Western Digital Hard drive would be a better buy, it has more space and performs a bit better.

Hope that helps.
Kamille