Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hard drive almost dead?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My parents computer has been so slow that it takes 5 minutes to execute a simple click of the start tab. Also there is a distinctive noise almost a clicking noise that is slow and makes it seem like the hard drive is on its way out. On the task manager the cpu usage is 1%, when the computer finally executes a task it is because the cpu usage is up. I am trying to transfer important files and data to a flash drive but it is taking forever for a simple file as the hard drive ,I am assuming, only works a few seconds every 5 minutes. What could I do to transfer data to either my computer or a flash drive? Thank you

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Not much you can do other than what you are now. Copy to a flash/ burn to a CD, put HD in another computer as a slave. All require HD access to be able to recover.

When done, you can download the HD manufacturers diagnostics to verify the drive is bad. You need to know the drive manufacturer though.