Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Product Key

• Please log in to reply

Pestyton

Pestyton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was given a 1998 HP MO.4450 Pavilion computer. It was my intention to uninstall the OS and then reinstall it and and add my legal Windows 98SE update and then try to download all the MS updates available.

When I tried to do this I discovered the previous owner did not record all of the product code. Went online and got a generic code which worked. I then tried to change the OS to include my legal Win.98 SE and was told the machine simply did not have enough steam to do this.

I did then uninstall and reinstall the original Windows 98 Disc. I was able to download most of the available updates.

My problem. The computer does not allow me to install these updates. Any suggestions?

This computer was used by a friend hardly at all. I was hoping to give it and a printer to some kid to get him or her involved. It would be good even if used only for word processing.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There has been a problem with installing downloaded updates and I've seen it in XP and win98. The fix that has worked is a forced reinstall of the updater package itself. There are many Google links about the issue, here is one, but they mostly pertain to XP.