Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus eating my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Lionel Kogan

Lionel Kogan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a fairly new laptop with windows vista on it. The hard drive has about 260 gb of space. I do download a lot of programs, but I should have about 220-230 gb left. I checked my space and I'm down to 2.37 gb of space. I am at my wits end. I do not want to reformat my hd to factory settings because it has a lot of critical data on it. I tried combo fix, mcafee, and panda. Cannot remove it. Please help

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please go here for some help.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

SRX660

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Prior to going to the malware forum could you try the following as I have just had one similar caused by msi files

Please download and run Winstatdir

When the little pacmen have finished investigating the drive you will be presented with a visual image of your folders
Select the folder using the most space by clickin the little + sign alongside it
Locate the folder that is using the most space
If there is a + alongside that then click it to dig deeper
Highlight the offending folder and press Ctrl + C this will copy the path to your clipboard
Then right click the folder and select open
This will then open explorer to that folder.. Do you recognise it ?

Then open note pad and select paste... Post the file path in your next reply plus the size and if possible post a screenshot of the windirstat graphical display

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
While this could be a mal-ware issue, it is a common complaint with Vista because shadow copy makes a copy of every thing to your hard drive. (doubling your disc space used.)
Please read This article by Microsoft to learn more about shadow copy.

dlinderyd

dlinderyd

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry replied to the wrong post. Ignore.

Edited by dlinderyd, 07 April 2009 - 09:09 AM.