Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi Geekstogo Experts, good day. :)

I asked my friend last week about memory. I asked him if it's ok if I can mix two different RAM sizes and frequencies in my motherboard. He answered NO because it can cause damage or burn to my memory and every gold contacts in the memory has its own voltage. He said also that the gold contacts will turn to black. Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause burn to my memory.

Questions:
1. Is it true that mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause damage or burn to my memory? and Why?
2. Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?

Edited by SHENGTON, 05 October 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I don't know if it would actually burn your memory... But no, it is not advisable to mix the two, even if it did work. It is possible to use different RAM sizes with the SAME frequency, but it is still not suggested to do. Another note is that it is better to use 1 stick of bigger RAM over 2 sticks of smaller RAM.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Sir Granz00, good day. :)

Thanks for the quick reply Sir Granz00.

Questions:

But no, it is not advisable to mix the two, even if it did work.

1. I have two same RAM sizes here 256MB and they have different frequencies. I use these two RAMs for almost 3 years now. And they still work well. Why isn't still advisable?

It is possible to use different RAM sizes with the SAME frequency, but it is still not suggested to do.

2. Even two identical RAMs is still not advisable? Why Sir?

Another note is that it is better to use 1 stick of bigger RAM over 2 sticks of smaller RAM.

3. Can you give me some inputs and why?

Edited by SHENGTON, 05 October 2008 - 04:00 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
AS long as they are the same type you should not have a problem. Now you don't want to overclock the memory and some computers lock the memory to the FSB of the processor and in general you don't want to go below the FSB with the memory speed but you can mix speeds they will just slow down to the speed of the lower one. AS far as sizes some computers don't like certain combinations but mixing size is okay as well.... The big advisory against is you can get better performance if the memory is matched...

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello Sir shrad92, thanks for replying my topic. :)

Is it true that it can cause burn to my memory and the gold contacts will turn to black? Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because of mixing two different RAM frequencies.

Thanks and God bless. :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
never heard of that. The only time I've seen any burning like that is when someone put the wrong type of memory ( sdr/ddr/ddr2/ddr3) in a slot or if a failure of the slot took place ( such as a power surge or such )

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Sir shrad92. Now I know that my instructor and the computer technician are wrong. They don't have the proof to prove that their statements are right. But I have the proof to prove that I disagree to their statements. I read something in COMPTIA A+ that it will just down clock to the lowest frequency but nothing will be burned or damaged. I they are just basing it to their experienced just that. But they are not reading any theories that will disprove their experience.

Thanks again Sir shrad92 and good day. :)