Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Vista Sp1 Problem

• Please log in to reply

Aztec077

Aztec077

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Internet Explorer 7 will no longer let me set the Toolbars in View the way
I had them(a few days ago until I uninstalled and reinstalled Yahoo
Messenger to make it work right) and want them. And in Internet Options
I now need Administrators Access to change the main settings to make
changes and I am in my Administrators Account. I also am not given
access to make it run as an Administrator in Compatibility Mode, but I
think I can run it as Administrator(when I left click on it and Run as administrator)
to no avail. Will reinstalling it fix these issues? I'm not ready to go to IE 8 Beta 2.

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello Aztec077,
There is no need for you to install IE8, IE7 has the great ability of being reset to factory settings. Give that a shot.

Option 1:

To find out if this problem has to do with add-ons:

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If you are able to use the browser successfully, you most likely have an incompatible add-on. In which case you need to disable all add-ons and re-enable them 1 by 1 to find out which one is causing the issue, and then remove it. If not go on to Reset Internet Explorer.

To disable Internet Explorer add-ons.
Tools>Manage Add-ons> and click on Enable or Disable Add-ons
or
Start>Control panel>Internet options> Programs tab>Manage Add-ons

On the Show, select Add-ons that have been used

Now simply select each add-on and check disable. Once you find the add-on that is causing the issue you can choose delete, disable or update that add-on.

Option 2:

Reset Internet Explorer to default settings:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Internet Options> Advanced (tab)
or
Start>Control panel>Internet options>Advanced (tab)

Scroll to the bottom and click Reset, now read the warning and click reset again. Once all the check marks for the reset are green, click close, and restart Internet Explorer.

Note:
Be aware that resetting Internet Explorer setting causes the following:
Disables toolbars and add-ons
Deletes temporary internet files, web page history, cookies, and auto complete data such as saved forms or passwords.
Resets the default web browser settings, search providers, and home pages.
You can refer to the following article if you have any questions about this procedure.
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.micro....com/kb/923737

One of those should fix your issue. Good luck!

Aztec077

Aztec077

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did do a re-set in Internet Exploer and I also located the culprit add-on, it was a Google Toolbar Helper I think or one of the Google add-ons. So, I disabled it and it worked like you said, "Deletes temporary internet files, web page history, cookies, and auto complete data such as saved forms or passwords.
Resets the default web browser settings, search providers, and home pages."

My question is, is there any way to get my original settings back? Or is it too late, lol?

I also updated to IE8 Beta 2 over the few days since posting thinking it might help, although, it didn't help much if at all.

Thank you for answering.

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
So was your problem fixed by the reset and finding what seems to be the add on causing the issue?

The only way that I can think of to restore those settings would be to use system restore. Pick a date when you know the computer was the way you like it.

If you found the add on that was causing problems then you can just delete or update that add on after the restore is complete.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by bombasos2, 07 October 2008 - 12:35 PM.

Aztec077

Aztec077

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, my PC is running good now after about 3 or 4 days of problems with like the Rundll32 problem and all. I suggest to people reading this not to install The System Guard (System Defense thingy) within Dell PC Tuneup, what a headache. Made some of the things in Control Panel not open with a Rundll32 warning balloon each time. It was a nice thought, before I knew it's full potency. Maybe if you have real Rundll32 (Viruses, Mal-Ware and relatives) issues, maybe run it then, if you have Dell PC Tuneup, don't know. Just FYI, there.

When I installed Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2, like I said in my last post, everything seemed fine, albeit...temporarily. A lot of programs do not run with Beta anything. Like, my Anti-Virus ran, but, I couldn't see or adjust any of the settings (blank screen) with Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2. And some more secure websites like banking and credit card websites reject Beta, at least a lot of them do. So, maybe, wait until Internet Explorer 8 is official, I would say. Went back to IE 7, and, no problem at all. Ok, another FYI, if useful.

And, now, IE 7 works fine and everything else is at this point. And I guess I'll have to live with the new IE 7 settings, at least for now. Been using Mozilla Firefox 3 mostly lately and I'm liking it at this point. Very nice browser, I've heard good things about Opera, too, so, maybe at some point. Also, Safari was sorta installed on my system by the Apple folks, recently, and that's not a bad alternative either, I guess, looking at it.

You know I recently read some info online about the Rundll32 file. I mean the real one is necessary to open Control Panel, but, I guess viruses and stuff damage it and different things. Sort of a sneaky little file, huh? I think I fixed mine with RegCure, but, I'm not too sure of the integrity of it or Errorsmart i.e. Fix PC Errors. What do you all know about these?

Thanx again for your interest in my problems.

Edit : Misspellings

Edited by Aztec077, 08 October 2008 - 06:09 AM.

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yes, Rundll32 is a name commonly used by many malware as a disguise but there is a file by that name that is necessary for the operating system. If you have seen signs of malware you should stop by the malware forum. Personally I would not trust a program like Regcure to fix any problems.

In regards to Error Smart products, I would advice you to stay away from them. They claim to fix spyware/virus but if malware is improperly removed it can actually damage your PC. Don't take my word for it, look at what some experts had to say. http://www.geekstogo...t-t189165.html

If you are looking for reputable spyware/anti-virus program here is a list.

Good luck! :)

Aztec077

Aztec077

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
But one thing that Regcure says it does, and, I don't know how effective it is, is repair .dll files, like the Rundll32 file. I couldn't find a clean copy of it on my hard drive or on the Vista installation disk. But, like you say, maybe, it doesn't do that and the risks of using it outweigh the benefits. You all think I should uninstall it?
I mean I sorta assumed it was questionable software before I bought it, because, it's like someone said, it does the scan finds all the errors and makes you pay before it 'fixes' them. Kind of a questionable little tactic.

Do you all know of any way to fix like say the Rundll32 file, as in delete it, and, copy a fresh one into the C:\Windows\System32 folder? What do you do in that case?

Pareto Rep

Pareto Rep

spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
[removed spam]

Edited by admin, 15 October 2008 - 08:23 AM.
spamming liinks

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
We don't encourage using registry cleaners here, please don't recommend any, including your own software.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
As stated, our general policy is not to use or promote the use of registry cleaners. This blog post by one of our respected experts is a good read, and covers the reasons we don't recommend registry cleaners.