Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Explorer.exe failed to initialize

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok here's my situation...

I'm running XP on a compaq..not quite sure of the specs, anyway;

Everything was working fine last night, then I heard the computer sound like it was running really hard, loud.

I went in to see a bunch of spyware/adware...all over, saying I had a virus and to purchase some remover. I couldn't close the windows, they were stuck, two IE windows.
I tried to ctrl-alt-dlt but it said task manager had been disabled by administrator, which I am the admin??.

So I just shut the computer down and when I tried to restart it gave me the explorer.exe failed to initialize properly.
Just a b/g no icons, nothing at all when I hit the x or ok on the explorer.exe box.

I tried to hit cntl-alt-dlt again but it just restarts itself no task manager.

I CANNOT start in any safe mode, I click safe with networking, safe regular and the safe with command prompt and none work, they just show a bunch of text and then it restarts windows normally.

I tried to use the XP disc to do a recovery, but it tells me to put in an admin pw which, there isn't one, it keeps telling me over and over that the pw is incorrect.

I was going to install it again, but it says I have a partition on c and d.

I'm so lost I don't know what to do, besides taking out the HD and making it a slave to another computer we have.

Is there anything I can do? Please please help. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can connect your hard disk to another computer and clean it there but there is always a chance that the other computer will get infected as well.

Avast is having a 14 days free trial of BartPe + Avast antivirus. It's a bootable CD which enable you to run Avast's excellent antivirus. Unfortunately the free trial is not for everyone but I would give it a chance. Have a look at this link.