Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problems

• Please log in to reply

Alex Super

Alex Super

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hello,

I was trying to load OS Windows XP pro SP2 on my flash drive.

So I selected flashdrive in Windows set up and then it asked how I want to format it.

I choose to keep it the same (not to format in NTFS and not in FAT but keep it the same( no change))

Then it loaded files to my fashdrive and than rebooted, tryed to boot from flashdrive and then frooze up. Then I restarted computer and decided to load my normal OS (Which is Windows Xp SP2) and it is saying that there is hardware malfunction etc. and the system cannnot be loaded.

Do any one know how I can fix that problem and make my pc work again...

Thanks

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Probably you will have to edit your boot.ini file...

Because you install XP on the USB device you over-wrote your previous master boot record.

You can try this.

Make sure your usb device is removed.
Get your xp cd... boot to it... hit r for recovery console... choose your windows installation then run the following command

FIX MBR

Hit Y for yes then when it is done type "exit" and remove the cd or dont hit any keys to boot to it on next boot.

If that does not work go back and try FIB BOOT as well.

If that doesn't work we can try bootcfg command later and I will walk you through what to do.

Alex Super

Alex Super

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you really much,
That worked: (I just did now how to get there)

Make sure your usb device is removed.
Get your xp cd... boot to it... hit r for recovery console... choose your windows installation then run the following command

FIX MBR

Hit Y for yes then when it is done type "exit" and remove the cd or dont hit any keys to boot to it on next boot.

Thank you again

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Awesome !!!

For future reference don't install XP on a flash drive anyways... I do not think it is entirely compatible...

If you are looking for cool things to install on usb drives check out these...

Portable Apps- Basically a set of portable apps and games... Fun, handy, and secure if you use a lot of public pc's and don't want to leave a trail of cache or what you did on them...
http://www.portableapps.com

Bootable Linux OS on a USB- Nice and handy, especially if that windows pc crashes or gets a virus and you need to boot to it in some order to transfer files off of it. You can use linux on usb to boot to linux and do what you need to. Also nice to test out linux and get a feel for it.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Lastly the one that would most pertain to what you were attempting is VistaPE- Basically a sort of small OS built on the vista interface. Still has its kinks to work out but it's pretty shabby.
http://forums.slickd...h...=0&t=705972

Good luck and glad you got your OS working.