Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply-Which One?

• Please log in to reply

northernCX

northernCX

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK, so I need a new PSU for my computer. It's currently got (gasp!) a 300W unit, which is trying to run a Dual-Layer DVD/Lightscribe Burner, 500GB HD, Athlon 64+ Dual-core processor, 3GB RAM, Printer, Saitek X45 stick, webcam, etc., etc. I know I want something in the 600W+ range, but looking over the couple PSUs I found locally (which gave me a 400W and 500W option), I realized I have no idea, aside from what was shown on the box, of what cables come with these PSUs. One looked like it only came with a 24-pin power cable, the other (400W) says it comes with a PCI-e cable, and a couple others. What should I be looking for here? The PSU in the machine now shows the 24-pin connector, a 4-pin connector to what appears to be the CPU, and a whole shwack of others (shwack- a highly technical term meaning oodles...). Any help?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi northernCX :)

I'm just interested you listed a printer as part of your system - I've never seen one that runs off the internal PSU before. I've only ever seen ones that plug directly into the wall themselves. If this is how your printer works, then it won't affect your internal PSU. Nonetheless...

I would think you are right in saying a new PSU is on the cards. I'm surprised this one is still running (if it still is), that's a lot of stuff to be throwing at 300W.

Do you know what video card you have? This may change my recommendation below.

You'll find that all PSUs that come with a 24-pin connector can be changed into a 20-pin connector by removing a 4-pin square from the end. This is to maintain compatibility with older motherboards.

I recommend an Antec Earthwatts 500W. Antec PSUs are high quality, and the Earthwatts range are 80Plus Certified, meaning they have been verified to run at 80% efficiency or higher.

Cheers

Troy