Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Good Games with low spec requirements

• Please log in to reply

U60n0

U60n0

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all, listen, I am looking for good games (possibly online) that can run on my PC.

I am running an HP ZV5000 (its a laptop from '05)
-It has a pentium 4 portable proc, it says it runs at 3.2ghz and can be overclocked to 4.8ghz, and its the most incredible single-core CPU i have evr used, it runs so many programs while maintaining its speed
-895 MB of RAM
-The only real problem is ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP integrated graphics. THey suck so bad it has problems running Halo or CoD 1, even in safe mode! It really upsets me but there's nothing i can do about it.

Now it can run games like Counter Strike 1.6 (ugh, i no) with full setting no problem, so maybe a steam game or something? IDK, but i wold really like to find some other game that is actually compatible with this old setup that is fun and possibly online

Oh! and no responses lik "There are none" or "u are screwed" or "u just need to buy a new PC". I know all of that and im working on it, but in the mean time i would like some helpful information.

Edited by U60n0, 05 October 2008 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

freakwizard

freakwizard

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi, I saw that no one was replying so I decided I'd help you out :)

You can always try this game called Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory. Its a great online shooter game and it doesn't require much of your computer. [Free]

Also you can try Trackmania Nations Forever which is a very cool racing game with online racing features available as well. [Free]

The list goes on
Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne
Command and Conquer Generals
Age of Mythology or Age of Empires II

:)

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Starcraft and Diablo 2 are two great Blizzard games (along with WC3 as mentioned) above that can run on your system. I would suggest those.

J-H

J-H

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Command and Conquer Generals

You did not just say Generals! That's where the whole series went wrong, or atleast in my view anyway, they seemed to focus more on graphics, the terrible graphics and unit voices made the C&C series great.

Red Alert 2/Yuris Revenge I would recommend about any other C&C game.
Blade Runner is a fun game too, certainly doesn't need high specs.
Unreal Tournement 1 is enjoyable as well as being cheap because it's so old.

Edit:

If you like golf, you could give Albatross18 a shot, free online game.

Edited by J-H, 20 October 2008 - 03:16 PM.

Victorz

Victorz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
An actual recent game would be HellGate: London

My old computer (basically the same setup as yours) can run it extremely well. And yes, it is DirectX 9.0 compatible.

It usually gets between 18-33 FPS, dependsing on the area and such. (I watch this durring regular play, if and when you start playing just hit the ~ key, and type /FPS, it'll display it for you)

Its really quite a fun game to play, and has great online capabilities.

Hmmm, I'll go test a few other games on my old setup and report back.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I know you said you didn't want to get a new PC, but since you're interested in probably purchasing a few games, I really think you should consider purchasing a new video card.

A couple cheap cards (these cost close to the price of most recent PC games anyways and would probably allow you to play lots more games at low-medium settings with no lag or performance problems)
Prices are taken from Newegg.com
--> GIGABYTE Radeon HD 2400XT - $10 after mail-in rebate (!!!!!)
--> SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3650 - $37 after mail-in rebate

Or, if you've got just a few more bucks to spare, this is an incredible deal...
--> EVGA GeForce 9600 GT - $80 after mail-in rebate

(prices are before shipping/handling costs)

I don't know much about your integrated video, but it seems to me that any of these cards would be a significant step up and allow you to play a broader range of games, even if only at low settings with the first two. The third one, although a bit more expensive, is really a steal and is a very very good card that will compete with many low to middle range modern PCs.

At the very least I really advise you to purchase the Radeon HD 2400XT; it's dirt cheap and will still probably offer a significant improvement in performance. The 9600GT, although a bit of an investment, is also an excellent buy and if you get it, it's likely you'll want to hang on to it even when you buy your next PC, since it was considered cutting-edge a little over a year ago. I can honestly say that I would expect this card to be almost double this price.

U60n0

U60n0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well here's the thing, my HP ZV5000 is a laptop, so i cant upgrade any of its parts

unless you know of a like external video card made for laptops?

otherwise, i would have upgraded my gpu a long time ago

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

If you like golf, you could give Albatross18 a shot, free online game.

Me and my friend play this game. At first we laughed at the people that spent real money to buy some of the stuff in the game. After getting addicted to it, I've invested a good chunk of money in it... To make this clear, you don't have to use money to purchase everything, you just usually need to spend the money for the "cooler" looking stuff...

Also, the company that made this game has about 3 other games. They are worth giving a try as long as your laptop can handle them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
www.armorgames.com and www.addictinggames.com are two of my favorite flash game sites...there's always something to waste a half hour of your day or more... www.adultswim.com is fun as well

i also have gotten into playing mechquest (www.mechquest.com)....just a standard turn based game...but it's "live"....they update it constantly and add little things that are only there for a small amount of time...add new missions...new levels etc...it's pretty addicting once you get into it