Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC shutting down without warning

• Please log in to reply

adi13

adi13

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer seem to be infected by the win32 and I don't know what else.
I've been trying to fix the problem for some time now, but now my computer
will start shutting down without warning. This makes me lose whatever I was working on
and it's driving me insane. Also, the shutting down has become much more frequent lately
and my computer won't even let me log on to this site, it says that the link is broken.
(right now I'm posting this from another computer at home).
I get Dr.Watson errors, as well as others, including the internet explorer error.
Also, I've been getting a microsoft installation box that will only go away after I click on cancel
repeated times.
Please help me
:)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi adi13 welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error. For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD (blue screen of death). But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem. In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab...
Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings... to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK the necessary number of times...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

Edited by happyrock, 17 October 2008 - 07:19 AM.

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there adi13, once you have did what is being told by happyrock, everytime your system crash and BSOD appear, a minidump file will be created.

The default location for the minidump folder should be C:\Windows\Minidump or C:\Minidump
Those minidump files contain information of what has triggered your system to crash. If possible, please zipped a copy of the minidump folder and upload it here or so that i can help to you analyze your file and let you know what is the error that causes the problem.

You can upload yout file at one of those hosting website below but please provide a link here so that i can access it and debug it for you.

At the mean time, you can have a look at your Event Viewer under Administrator Tool in Control Panel. Your Event Viewer should provide sufficient information for you to understand how your system behave. Look at those "Error" highlighted by the event viewer.

adi13

adi13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know how to do this since my computer won't let me get on this site.
I've tried getting on the site using internet explorer and firefox but both will take me to a "website not found" page.

:)