Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My cd drive disappeared.

• Please log in to reply

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
can i start the procees over when the download was complete it said files were complete and unzipped put i dont know where it is

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Once you extract the files (after they have been downloaded) simply click "Start > then RUN > then copy and paste this in C:\dell\Drivers\0377C\setup.exe and hit ok. It will install. Then you should restart and see if the cdrom is back.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 09 October 2008 - 11:30 AM.

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it said the current operating system supports the intel chipset devices on your system. no INF update needed and the installer closes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I wonder if there are filters set on the drive...though I think cdgone is supposed to address that issue. Let's have a look to be certain.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
nope

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Try this. Right click "My Computer" and select properties. When this window opens click the Hardware tab, then device manager. When this window opens look for DVD/CD-ROM drives and click the + sign to see if anything shows up on this list.

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ia i doing this in the registry

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
there is this yellow sign by lite-on LTN486 48x Max

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on "lite-on LTN486 48x Max" and choose "Uninstall"....accept the change. Close Device Manager.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". The Prefetch folder will open. Click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press the Delete key and accept the change. Close the Prefetch folder and reboot.

The optical drive should reinstall with fresh drivers when Windows starts.

If this doesn't bring the drive back, I'd have to lean towards a drive failure.

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
that didnt work i got the message cannot start this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: CD-ROM Drive Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Go to my post

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

read the last one 3rd set about SYMPTOMS

You may also receive an error Code 39 message that indicates that the driver is corrupted.

also have a look at the other 2

its a common problem with xp

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
that didnt work i got the message cannot start this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: CD-ROM Drive Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) :)

Edited by ladynblu, 09 October 2008 - 02:26 PM.

ladynblu

ladynblu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
THANKS EVERYONE!!! THE DRIVE WAS NOT SHOT IT CAME BACK WHEN I DOWNLOADED THE AVI MOVIE PLAYER.... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!