Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't play DVD

• Please log in to reply

lavender01

lavender01

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Back in early Sept. I was having problems with a virus - I ended up having to restore my computer. I was trying to play a DVD today and am now getting an error message blue screen - 0x0000008E. What could be the problem? I put in the DVD and get this blue screen.

Can you download a fee "Decoder"? If my system was restored - why was that not on there?

Thanks
Debbie

Edited by lavender01, 06 October 2008 - 08:09 AM.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
The best free codec pack I can think of is this one.

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

It will install DVD playback ability. If you continue to have problems the issue is probably hardware related.

During install choose the option from the drop down list which says "Profile #8 "Lots of Stuff without player". This will install most general codecs you get from realplayer, quicktime, divx etc... without installing all those unnecessary players.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 06 October 2008 - 08:58 AM.

lavender01

lavender01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks I will try that when I get home today. Should that take away that blue screen error message if it works correctly?

lavender01

lavender01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did try that - but it didn't work. I put the DVD in - and it gave me the same blue screen. Any other options?

lavender01

lavender01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That worked - but now I still can't burn CD's.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Do you have a software that burns cds? Have you tried right clicking a random file, and clicking "send to" then choosing the cd rom? If you can try that, it may or may not burn the files...

For a cd burning software I recommend Nero or Roxio.

How are you attempting to burn cds?

lavender01

lavender01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Now I have a big problem - I have spyware stuff popping up everywhere - I can hardly get into the internet for them. On my toolbar it is now showing a security toolbar 7.1. My popup blocker is gone. I see a yellow box that has popped up saying security alert: Networm-i.Virus@fp. What can I do to get rid of all of this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Hmmm. What were you doing before that stuff started happening...

That is curious. Nothing I pointed you to contains any threat whatsoever. Perhaps you've been infected and it has been the issue to begin with. Do what the geek said. Thats the next step.