Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP PLEASE:WINDOWS98 PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

THEGAFFER

THEGAFFER

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[COLOR=red][B]I NEED HELP WITH REINSTALLING WIN98 ON MY DELL LATITUDE P75 LAPTOP.
THE LAPTOP HAS NO INTERNAL CDROM, AND WHAT I USE IS A "TRAXDATA PLUS"CDROM CONNECTED VIA CABLE TO THE PARALLEL PORT. THE UNIT WAS SUPPLIED WITH TWO FLOPPIES (TRAXDATA EXT CASE FOR CDROM EPP)WHICH CAN ONLY BE LOADED FROM WITHIN WINDOWS. INSIDE THE CASE OF THE TRAXTDATA IS A GOLDSTAR CD UNIT, AND I MANAGED TO DOWNLOAD WHAT I THINK IS THE REQUIRED DOS DRIVERS.I HAVE SET THEM UP ON DRIVE C WITHIN A DIRECTORY NAMED CDROM.

I HAVE SET UP ON DRIVE C, MY AUTOEXEC.BAT FILE AS FOLLOWS
C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /d:MSCD001 /L:D
AND CONFIG.SYS FILE DEVICE=C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
ALL TO NO AVAIL.
END UP WITH "DEVICE DRIVER NOT FOUND "MSCD001
AND "NO VALID CDROM DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED.

:tazz: ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.[SIZE=7]

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Oh man, please don't every do that again....I cannot read all caps...hurts my eyes.

Is a windows installation working right now and you want to install a new one, or is it totally and you're looking at dos?

THEGAFFER

THEGAFFER

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerryf: Sorry about caps on my first posting.I have reformatted the hard disk and wany to re-install Windows98and what i require is get my "traxdata Plus" cd unit up amd running to load Window98 cd.It's getting the cd unit configured is my problem.
Many thanks for your reply.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
guessing
the cable you are using to connect the cd-rom to the parallel port...is it the same one that you use to connect the floppy?

Even though they both fit physically, they have different pinouts and are not interchangable.

The laptop originally came with two cables...do you have both?

THEGAFFER

THEGAFFER

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerryf :Thank you for your response.The cable I am using is the one that was supplied with the Traxdata unit (ie) 100% similar to a printer cable.The traxdata unit is just a case with a Goldstar cdrom drive inside,and connected via a standard cd belt cable to a standard 26 pin male connector on the outside of the case.
The unit was working fine before i reformatted the hard drive.
The floppy drive is an internal unit built in to the Laptop,which i have not touched.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
scratching my head and I know I am missing something...what about a bootfloppy with the dos drivers copied to it?