Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sprtcmd.exe - WINDOWS SHUT DOWN

• Please log in to reply

mxd6

mxd6

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again!

Question - I keep getting this warning on shut down/turn off - Windows is having problem closing sprtcmd.exe

What could it be?

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Go to Control Panel and ADD/Remove "Dell Support"

You can reinstall it later but most people never even use it. sprtcmd.exe is a component of dell support.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yes I do have a Dell VOSTRO 1500 and thanks for your quick reply.

Question regarding your responce:

Would the following programs be effected if "Dell Support" were removed?

DELL AUTOMATED PC TUNE UP
DELL QUICK SET
DELL NETWORK ASSISTANT

Thanks again!
Mike

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
No they shouldn't. Dell support is basically a program that allows you to connect to support and/or check for driver updates etc...

It shouldn't affect much else, but if it does like I said you can reinstall it.

Dell Support is actually a non-critical thing to have. It's actually rather annoying and on most customers pc's I disable and/or uninstall it because it runs in the background ALL the time using up a tad bit of memory and it is just not necessary.

If you'd like to uninstall it and see if that fixes the issue, then attempt to reinstall it you can.

Better yet, just download this update to dell support for your make and model...

http://support.dell....p;fileid=244380

Direct download link
http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/DSC20.exe

Assuming you have a Dell Vostro 1500 "Laptop" go ahead and download that.

Please follow these instructions.

Pre-Install instructions.
This is a full release of the Dell Support Center application which contains fixes for issues in experienced in the previous version of Dell Support Center 2.

If you already have verion 2.1.0.08044 or greater you don't need this patch. In order to check which version of Dell Support Center you have installed, do the following:
- Click on "Start" menu button (lower left hand corner of window)
- Click on "All Programs"
- Click on "Dell Support Center"
- Click on "About Dell Support Center" to display the version

If you have an earlier version than 2.1.0.08044, you will need to remove it first prior to downloading and installing this version. That can be done by:

- Click on "Start" menu button (lower left hand corner of window)
- Click on "Control Panel"
- Click on "Add\Remove" programs
- Select entry for Dell Support Center
- Click "Uninstall"

(Install Instructions)
Vista

1.Click the "Download Now" link, to download the file.
2.When the "File Download" window appears, click "Save'.
3.The "Save As" window appears, click on "Desktop" and then click "Ok" to save the file in your desktop. If "Desktop" is not showing, click "More", then "Desktop".
4.When the "Download Complete" window appears, click Run. If you closed the "Download Complete" window before clicking run, find the DSC20.exe file on your desktop and double click on it run it.
5.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
6.You will see a dialog box come up titled "User Account Control" asking for permission to continue. You will need to click on the "Continue" button to successfully install Dell Support Center.
7. Once installation completes, the application will be launched. Go through the initialization steps to successfully initialize the application. During the application initialization steps, you will see a dialog box come up titled "User Account Control" asking for permission to continue. You will need to click on the "Continue" button to successfully initialize Dell Support Center.

XP

1.Click the "Download Now" link, to download the file.
2.When the "File Download" window appears, click "Save'.
3.The "Save As" window appears, click on "Desktop" and then click "Ok" to save the file in your desktop.
4.When the "Download Complete" window appears, click Run. If you closed the "Download Complete" window before clicking run, find the DSC20.exe file on your desktop and double click on it run it.
5.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello,

Just a quick update because I have to leave for a while
I'm running XP and then latest was uploaded but I have the latest version of Dell so that wasn't necessary.
I still have the problem but the warning on shut down is still the same.
Too bad I couldn't print screen because it also mentions all info will be lost and go to Windows.

I will write it all down again but I'm on the way out now the next e-mail will be the message in the closing problem.

thanks,
Mike

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK I'm back and here is the what the box states on shut down:

END PROGRAM SPRTCMD.EXE

ENDING PROGRAM PLEASE WAIT...........

IF YOU CLOSE THIS PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY YOU WILL LOSE ANY UNSAVED DATA.
TO END THIS PROGRAM CLICK END NOW

this box closes after a few second and changes to:

END PROGRAM SPRTCMD.EXE

THIS PROGRAM IS NOT RESPONDING SPRTCMD.EXE

TO RETURN TO WINDOWS AND CHECK THE STATUS OF THE PROBLEM CLICK CANCEL.
IF YOU CLOSE THIS PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY YOU WILL LOSE ANY UNSAVED DATA.
TO END THIS PROGRAM CLICK END NOW

If I click end now it closes and shuts down if I cancel nothing special happens I can continue in any program with no warning.

I hope this helps and looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Mike

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok basically when windows is shutting down, the support center is not shutting down correctly and a process is left so windows kills it (or gives you the option to do so).

The message "IF YOU CLOSE THIS PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY YOU WILL LOSE ANY UNSAVED DATA.TO END THIS PROGRAM CLICK END NOW" is a typical message suggesting that if you click "end now" it will proceed to shut down windows meaning that if you have any word documents open, or any work you didn't save, you could lose that work.

It does not mean in general you will lose files. Only items you didn't save because they have not been stored.

I recommend uninstalling your Dell Support Center.

Then just reinstall the one from the link I gave you above (regardless of having the same version installed an uninstall/reinstall of it may fix the issue).

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello again,

Bad news....ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS works fine but below is the message I receive.
It can't remove his program. With everything closed and security shut down - no go.

What's next?

Thanks,
Mike

___________________________________________________________________________-

Attached Thumbnails

• Dell_Support_Print_S.JPG
  • Dell_Support_Print_S.JPG

Edited by mxd6, 07 October 2008 - 10:54 AM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Either

#1 Search the systray (near the clock) for the dell support icon. Right click it and exit the program then attempt to remove it again.

Or

#2 Reboot your computer, hit F8 until you see the option for safe mode, select safe mode, once you see the startup screen choose administrator account then attempt to remove the program through there.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 07 October 2008 - 11:30 AM.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello,

Thanks.
However, the link you were so kind to add is only a patch.
To reinstall DELL SUPPORT CENTER complete is not there - please correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
My bad...

http://downloads.del...port_center.exe

Or
http://www.dell.com/.......&redirect=1

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello once again,

The reason I can't remove the file is because some other program is using sprtcmd.log and I do not know which but can access it. However it is a Dell folder/log. It is hidden in a Dell application data\support soft\dell support center\.......\state\logs\sprtcmd.log - path.

The trick is to RUN appwiz.cpl and then it takes you to Add/Remove Files.....this is how I found out another program shares the same LOG file.

Dell has a way to hide the files in the system so you can't access them......they are invisible.
Even if I bring all files and check for paths they are not there - invisible.

Dell help is useless as well so that is why I came here.
As you are well aware, they operate out of India or the Philippines.
Scary stuff!

The only other thing I could do is run Hijack this and remove it.
DO YOU RECOMMEND THIS?

Here take a look at O4. Thanks.
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 17:19:42, on 10/7/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\hnm_svc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WasherSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\KADxMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\Program Files\DellAutomatedPCTuneUp\PTAgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\ezi_hnm2.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://update.micros...icrosoftupdate/
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] "C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KADxMain] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\KADxMain.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] "C:\Dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UfSeAgnt.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellAutomatedPCTuneUp] "C:\Program Files\DellAutomatedPCTuneUp\PTAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Dell Network Assistant.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace....ploader1006.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail....es/MSNPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.mi...b?1205197327671
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.c.../cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {B1E2B96C-12FE-45E2-BEF1-44A219113CDD} (SABScanProcesses Class) - http://www.superadbl...ivex/sabspx.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9F79165-A264-4C4A-A211-133A5E8D647F} (F-Secure Health Check 1.1) - http://support.f-sec.../fshc/fscax.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: DellAMBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellAutomatedPCTuneUp\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: Advanced Networking Service (hnmsvc) - SingleClick Systems - C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\hnm_svc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (SfCtlCom) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service (TMBMServer) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. (www.webroot.com) - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: Window Washer Engine (wwEngineSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WasherSvc.exe

--
End of file - 8531 bytes

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Open HJT, and checkmark:
- O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
Click "Fix checked" button.
The above won't remove Dell Support Center from your computer, but will prevent it from starting, when you fire computer up.
Your problem should be solved.

Edited by Broni, 07 October 2008 - 08:26 PM.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for your reply Broni.
I ready perfer for remove a program complete.
All I need to do is find away to access Dell application data\support soft\dell support center\.......\state\logs\sprtcmd.log, find the other program using the same log and remove the entire problem complete and clear.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this fokes?

Thanks,
Mike

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do what I said, and restart computer. Dell Support Center won't be running anymore at startup, and you should be able to use Add\Remove to uninstall it.