Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken laptop (keyboard ribbon cable connector)

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm helping a friend with a laptop. I thought it had a bad keyboard, and in attempting to replace found that the black clip that holds the keyboard ribbon cable to the motherboard is broken.

I don't want to have to replace the whole laptop or even the motherboard. Can I tape this ribbon cable into place? If so, any particular type of tape?

If not, anyone else have suggestions on how to repair this?

Laptop is a Gateway, MX6453. Gateway support has been no help so far.

Many thanks

Advertisements

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Gateway support just told me to try using Superglue to hold the ribbon cable in the slot, and, if it works, to then Epoxy the cable into the slot. Have you ever heard of such a thing? The ribbon is like film. There is no connector on the end. Do you think this would actually work?

If not, I'm really at my wits end. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks to all

kimd813

kimd813

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Just got a Toshiba laptop (laptop's not my forte) with this exact issue - a fellow computer tech told me there is a computer component glue (adhesive) that is not only component friendly but removable however he would not disclose the product's name - will begin to Google the item, but saw this first & wondered if you ever figured out how to fix yours? Kim