Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card making weird noise

• Please log in to reply

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
So about a week ago my brother's rig start making a weird noise. initially this noise only happen when the system first turns on and only lasts from about 5 - 10 minutes at first i thought it was the hard drive because it made the same sound my hard drive did just before it failed. but upon opening up the case and listening carefully, i realized it was not the hard drive but the video card, a NVIDIA 8800GS 384mb making the noise.

so first thing i did was remove the video card and boot up the system without it to confirm that was the video card. sure enough the system was quiet without the video card.

i put the video card back in and then lowered the fan speed of the video card to the default setting, 30% in riva tuner. i had it running at 80% since i put the video card in because the rig has bad airflow. after restarting the system with the default fan speed, i thought it was fixed, as i didnt hear the noise, but a couple minutes after that it started acting up again.

so this time i took out the video card and cleaned the fan, thinking the fan on the video card was making the noise. put it back in and same thing. so i took it out again and cleaned it more. took off the face plate and cleaned the fan more. removed the heat sink and cleaned off the thermal paste/pads, replacing it with fresh thermal paste. put the video card back in and to my dismay, still made the same sound. however this time instead of only lasting for 5 - 10 minutes like it usually does it lasted a lot longer. plus now when playing games the sound starts up. prior to this it didnt make any sound when playing games only when booting up.

im thinking its not the fan on the video card but the video card it self.
i got the video card from newegg and the RMA for a replacement is still good til February 09. but id first like to hear if theres any advice on fixing it without having to replace it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bearings on the fan are probably going. When the noise starts, temporarily stop the fan on the card with your finger. If noise stops, fan is defunct.
Depending on the card the fan may be replaceable if you can find one but if not a new card would be needed or you can RMA that one.

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ill take your advice and RMA it then, thanks.