Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATX12V plug burned up

• Please log in to reply

drnads

drnads

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all, I recently upgraded my video boards, EN7600GS w/512 each, to a single 8800GTX liquid cooled unit w/768. In the last few weeks I've been having problems with random shutdowns. No warnings at all, just boom, dead. Then it won't restart for a while, just fans and lights come on for a few seconds then nothing. I disconnected all the drives and still nothing. I was about to try a spare psu when I discovered that the ATX12V 4pin plug was burned and the connector to the psu is melted a little. Can anyone tell me what that 12V is for and what could cause the plug to burn like that. This is on an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe w/ Athlon 64X2 6000+, 4GB of Corsair XMS, Thermaltake 750W psu.

TIA,

DrNads

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 12v 4 pin connector provides power to the processor. It is a necessary connection for normal operation.

This is not normal behaviour, you should replace that power supply.
To burn the pin and the cable leading back to the unit would mean either a heck of a lot of power's come down that 12v rail, or the board is sending voltage back when it shouldn't be. Either way, not good. Your hope is that it hasn't fried your board as that's an expensive motherboard. Try another PSU.

drnads

drnads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have to replace the mobo anyway as the pin was burnt off, and I have a spare psu(550W) to try before I buy another of the larger ones. I am curious as to what could have caused this as I don't want to replace the board only to have it happen again. Could the video board pull enough current to do this, or could it possibly have just been a bad connection from the start causing high resistance in the pin? I've never seen this in a computer before, but plenty of times in my line of work. Guess there's a first time for everything.

Just got off the phone with ASUS, the mobo is still under warrantee. Lucky day, got my RMA and a new one on the way. :)

Edited by drnads, 07 October 2008 - 03:43 PM.