Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add Remove Pro (addrempr.exe) Install Problem

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Several months ago - for removing a Java program - I was directed to install the Add Remove Pro application ... which I did and it worked great - I used it several times. Since then I must have inadvertently deleted something the application needed because it wouldn't run so downloaded the install program and attempted to install ... however ... got an AVG8 error: Potentially Unwanted Program ... addrempr.exe - Threat: Adware Generic3.OMT
and was arraid to continue.

Anyone familiar with this problem??

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This is just AVG's way of warning you that something is trying to run - it probably doesn't recognize this file. When I research it, I can't find any of our standard lookup sites that recognize this as a valid file. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad - it just means it hasn't been seen enough to be identified. If you feel comfortable that this program is safe (and you were running it before), then you should be okay to continue.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you - surprised not 'listed' since someone at GTG recommended it. Worked fine before so expect it's OK ... guess AVG8 is pickier that 7.5 (believe that's what I was using before)

BTW AVG8 seems to take more time (to scan AND the constantly running resident 'monitor') !!

Thanks again.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
There have been more complaints of slowness and false positives with AVG8.

I can find a lot of hits on that program when I search, just not much on that file. If it were bad, however, I would expect a lot more hits, so I wouldn't worry.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Can you post a link to where it was recommended ?

I ran the file through VirScan.org which scans suspect files with around 37 anti-virus scanners, it does seem to come bundled with some minor spyware, nothing to worry about majorly, but I would not recommend it myself after learning this.

http://virscan.org/r...05ef3882a5.html

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Can you post a link to where it was recommended ?

Can't find recommendation ... so obviously recommendation is suspect ... in my defense, can only say that it's not the type of program I would install unless directed. Have run AVG8 scan with nothing found.

Ray Geide

Ray Geide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Add Remove Pro is a program that I wrote. It does not have a virus in it. AVG is wrong in identifying it as a virus. The addrempr.exe file is the program file of Add/Remove Pro.