Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Product Key question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
I have a reinstallation XP disc that came with a dell computer I got. It says on it it can only be used on dell computers, and I have another dell computer with windows 98 that I want to install XP on. So I started installing it and it asks for the product key, but since the CD came from the other computer I have to put that product key in there for it to continue installing. Is this okay? Or do I need to cancel the installation and just leave it with windows 98?

Thanks.

~Kristy

Edited by Rustymilo, 02 May 2005 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there,

You should be ok to continue with the installation but I think you will find that it will not activate on your second machine. At best it will work for 30 days with regular reminders to activate the product, which you may not be able to do as it is already activated for your original pc!

That said there is no harm in trying. It just might not work for long. This is of course dependant on what type of xp you have- and i don't mean home or pro either!

Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Gaz.

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
What happens if it stops working? Will I not be able to run the computer anymore, or will certain things just not work? And if it stops working do I just have to get a new XP installation CD, or is it more complicated than that?

~Kristy

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

Yeah in a word, you do. The whole idea of product keys and activation is to stop multiple installations from one xp copy. *Edited out by a Staff Administrator

Phone Microsoft direct and explain that you wish to install your copy of xp onto another personal pc. They will ask you for lots of very boring info regards your situation and after what seems like years on the phone will give you another product key code which you can use with your original xp disk. Just remember to use the right key with the right pc if you have to reinstall again.

This method is tried and tested and will mean you can activate your second pc without any restrictions. All it costs is lots of time on the phone and the cost of the call.

That's about the best I can advise.

Hope this helps.

Gaz.

Edited by ~Kat~, 02 May 2005 - 07:45 PM.

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
Thanks for your help, I'll probably try calling them.

~Kristy

Mistertom

Mistertom

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

No problem, hope you get it sorted ok.

Gaz.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I suggest you do call Microsoft. If I am not mistaken, it doesn't matter if you own one pc or 12. You are only supposed to use each copy of Windows on one pc. To do otherwise is not legal. I could be wrong, and if I am I hope someone can correct me on that.

That said, I will be keeping a close eye on this thread. If anyone posts here of ways to illegally get around M/S policy, you will be Edited and banned. However, if you have legal knowledge of the policy we're referring to, please do post your thougths.

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
I think I'll just keep windows 98 on that computer. If for some reason in the future I need to reinstall windows with XP I think I'll just go buy it at the store. Thanks for everyones help on this.

~Kristy

Edited by Rustymilo, 02 May 2005 - 08:06 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
normally we don';t close topics in this section...but since the user has said it is resolved and she has made her decision...I am going to close this now so it does NOT spin off into anything it shouldn't be!

Good luck, Kristy! Let us know anytime if you need help!