Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not booting up

• Please log in to reply

Brian D

Brian D

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I recently have gotton ahold of a Toshiba Satellite laptop, the model number I have no idea. I booted the machine up but I keep on getting the message:

For Realtek RTL8139 (A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.12 (010425)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F - Exiting PXE Rom

I have reinstalled windows xp home edition, but no luck. Windows xp installs onto the harddrive (so there is a connection to the hard disk), and I can explore files on the hard drive using the windows xp repair tool on the installation disk. But when I try to boot up, it gives me that annoying message. I have checked in the bios for both the boot priority (Hard drive is first and is selected, but the bios thinks that there is no hard drive connected), and the network boot settings (which are turned off, so this computer is NOT booting off the network).

Do you think that my hard disk is going, or it is not properly connected (but I can still access the hard drive via the recovery tool!)?

Please reply - ANYONE!!! - I have been at this for weeeeeks and I am getting a little annoyed!

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
From what I have researched there are 3 main possibilities and ill list them from most likely to least likely.

#1 Your hard drive is failing or has failed to the point of not being able to boot in which case your computer will try to boot elsewhere and/or there is a problem with the connection from your hard drive to the motherboard. On most laptops you can easily unscrew a screw and slip the hard drive out. You may want to disconnect it, (with battery removed and ac power removed) then reconnect the hard drive to be sure it is securely connected.

#2 You have or possibly need a bios update which fixes this sort of issue. Only way to be sure would be to have your exact model number of Toshiba so that I could look it up for you to determine whether or not any exists.

#3 Your board is fried or some other hardware component on the board is. You would have to get the problem diagnosed.

There is also the mention that the CMOS battery could be dead and need to be replaced or removed to reset the bios entirely.

See these links for possible ideas and post the make and model if you can figure out what toshiba it is (or post the serial number on the bottom sticker or something).

http://www.nocrash.c...msgs/3576.shtml

A post mentioned at geekstogo http://www.geekstogo...le-t184055.html

http://www.computerh...es/ch000706.htm

What would I do?
#1 Remove and re-insert the hard drive.
#2 Reset the cmos if applicable and/or tell bios to change to defaults.
#3 Take the thing apart and check cables and else (usually laptop hard drives are plugged into a connector which is directly soldered into the board so in this case there is no cable to check.

#4 If all else fails and it is important to you, have a tech check it out at your local pc store. Have around $200 handy as you will usually be charged $50-$100 for the diagnoses + the cost of parts. If it exceeds $300, just sell the thing for parts and buy a new laptop as you can get a decent one these days for $450-$600

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 07 October 2008 - 01:12 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
The most common reason for this:
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
is your BIOS booting sequence.

Go back to BIOS. Make sure, that the boot order reads: floppy, CD, HD
Disable Boot from Network (wording is different on every machine, may say Integrated NIC, Network, PXE-xxxxxxx)

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Hey Broni,

Take a little more time reading the full post before you post ok :)

The op said

" I have checked in the bios for both the boot priority (Hard drive is first and is selected, but the bios thinks that there is no hard drive connected), and the network boot settings (which are turned off, so this computer is NOT booting off the network)."

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Oooops...