Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad sound

• Please log in to reply

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
As of lately when ever i open a program like windows media player/VLC/mpc/ computer game; the audio becomes fuzzy/static/clicky noise. It's extreamly irritating and i have no idea how to remove it, i changed nothing audio wise before this started (started 2 days ago)

Im on Realtek HD audio (onboard) and let windows update it (through system-> device management ect ect)

Any help on why this is happening?

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Can you please post your computer make and model? For example "Dell Dimension 4600" and if it is custom built please specify the exact sound device you have.

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's a packard bell, don't know the model name though,how can i find out?

It's specs are roughly

P4 3.06 ghz CPU
Geforce 7950GT (Installed myself; original -> geforce 6200)
1 gig of ram

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Go here and download cpuz from the button on the top left.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Extract it to your desktop or wherever then run cpuz.

Once it fully loads click the "mainboard" tab

Tell me the Manufacturer, Model, and Chipset.

Or post a screenshot of it if you know how.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 07 October 2008 - 01:33 PM.

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
http://img379.images...ge=specsgw6.png

ty for help

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
It is important that you also do the chipset drivers I list below because they can also affect the issue.

#1 Download this and install it. It is the most updated chipset package for your specific computer. It may fix the issue but if not it will still update you.
http://downloadmirro...finst_autol.exe

#2 If the issue is still not fixed please download your original drivers and do not update them via windows update.
ftp://ftp3.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/760...ek_hda_5391.exe

If the issue is still not fixed you can try reverting to the oldest drivers which originally came with your pc (which I do not recommend but there are really no options if the above did not work).

Original chipset
ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/6944...set_6011002.exe

Original sound
ftp://ftp3.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/694..._audio_5031.exe

If that didn't work then you need to buy new speakers :).

Good luck.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 07 October 2008 - 03:08 PM.

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks do i need to uninstall anything before installing them?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
No. They will install right over (the first links are both updated versions of each so they will install over your current).

As for the old ones if you get to those, you can probably install those on top of the newer ones as well.

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nope still not working =[

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I noticed a similar problem on a compaq computer given to me. I tried updating the realtek drivers which did not help. I finally ended up buying a old stock Creative Sound Blaster Audigy sound card from a discount parts website. What i did not expect was how much better sounding it was over the realtek sound. You also get a very good playcenter player with the Audigy drivers CD which lets you rip MP3's off your Music CD's so you can keep the original's in perfect condition.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102003

SRX660

Advertisements

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I noticed a similar problem on a compaq computer given to me. I tried updating the realtek drivers which did not help. I finally ended up buying a old stock Creative Sound Blaster Audigy sound card from a discount parts website. What i did not expect was how much better sounding it was over the realtek sound. You also get a very good playcenter player with the Audigy drivers CD which lets you rip MP3's off your Music CD's so you can keep the original's in perfect condition.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102003

SRX660

Thanks dude i guess i'll have to buy a SoundCard, just sucks because this problem has only just happened and i have been using this pc for 3/4 years without this problem =/

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I agree with SRX.

If you did try all that I said, including installing updated drivers first, then old drivers
Original chipset
ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/6944...set_6011002.exe

Original sound
ftp://ftp3.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/694..._audio_5031.exe

And the issue still persists. You just need a new soundcard.

It's highly possible your board is slowly failing in ways. A cheap sound card will do the trick. Just make sure you tried all that I said to be sure you need one.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Woh , hang on guy's ! Let us think this over a little more before buying a soundcard .
We have a situation where virushelpplease had a working Sound Card , previous to initial post , two days earlier .

As of lately when ever i open a program like windows media player/VLC/mpc/ computer game; the audio becomes fuzzy/static/clicky noise. It's extreamly irritating and i have no idea how to remove it, i changed nothing audio wise before this started (started 2 days ago)

Im on Realtek HD audio (onboard) and let windows update it (through system-> device management ect ect)

Any help on why this is happening?

So virushelpplease you updated your Realtek HD audio through MS Update . This caused your sound to become ,"fuzzy/static/clicky noise." You have tried updating , and then installing the original drivers over the top when that didn't work ?
It is a shame that no one thought of System Restore , it probably ( Well worth a try , I know it's not 100% reliable ! ) could have solved your problem . Also if you do not have ERUNT & NTREGOPT install it NOW . This is a great program which will take a snapshot of your Registry , then you make changes to your System , things dont work out (?) , you can merge ERUNT's .REG file back to your Registry and your back where you started ! I advise this , as well as making a System Restore point BEFORE making any potentially catastrophic changes to your System . I think we all know what a potentially catastrophic System Chaqnge is , you feel it biting you in the Stomach before clicking YES ! :)

Please look in your Device Manager , => Control Panel => System => Hardware Tab and look at "Sound , Video , and Game Controllers" . In Device Manager look for any Yellow asterisks (!) , and Or Red crosses (X) . In fact while your there look at the "Properties" of the items and see that , "This device is working properly." is displayed in the info boxes of all Sound and Video Devices . Generally have a look around as I said for a Yellow asterisks (!) , and Or Red crosses (X) , or Properties which are not GOOD . Really , I personally would expect some indication of failing Hardware to be apparent within the Device Manager . I'm in no way disputing however this may not be the case , but if you haven't looked it's advisable .

Also lets have a look at the Direct X Diagnostic Tool . It is found easily in Accessories > System Tools > System Information > Tools TAB > Direct X Diagnostic Tool . You can run tests of all your sound output / input and Video drivers and get some info .

Best of luck , I'm sorry that your sound is screwy , I have had this problem before , and found it was a Memory problem . Before ripping out your Sound Card ... , just my suggestion , but try a few of these diagnostic tools and checks . I increased my Virtual Memory , ( Page Swap File size ) on one occassion to remedy a similar problem . Shame about not using System Restore , or Erunt initially the problem occurred so we could elimate a software problem . i really do think you stuffed up when changing drivers , you may be able to restore them back still ! I have no idea what state of Backups you have running ?
Please keep us informed as a solution will help everyone .
We all learn together , and all have different ideas which may be of help . A Learning Community . G2G

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Trying system restore is worth a shot. It doesn't make much sense though considering it would revert back to old drivers which I already had him try. Worth a shot though I suppose.

My best guess is perhaps the newer drivers downloaded somehow messed up some hardware or patched xp in a way that just won't allow the hardware device to function properly.

Give it a shot though.

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Its onboard sound not a soundcard so i'd be putting a soundcard into the motherboard.

I didn't update anything manually which resulted in the fuzzy/static noise, it just started happening a couple of days ago (Windows was bugging me for an update which could of caused it).

I have to do some work atm but i'll come back later/tomorrow and try do a system restore ect ect