Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad sound

• Please log in to reply

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
For the heck of it you can try borrowing some speakers from a friend or even plug some headphones in to the speaker jack at the rear of your computer. That will determine whether or not it's just your physical speakers.

Advertisements

virushelpplease

virushelpplease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried my synthesizer headphones, some old speakers and my normal headphones and they all get the buzzing noise.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The reasoning for my post is i know how bad the stock on-board sound is on even the newest computers. Every song i recorded form my CD collection, every video i downloaded from U-tube and most of all the sounds put out by the realtek sound hardware i consider to be of poor quality. For many years i have never had on-board sound because i built my own computers. All my computers had the near top range of video and sound cards installed. Recently,to get back to customer computer problems i bought some H-P, Compaq, Dell, and Gateway factory computers and have been running them. It's a good way to experience the same problems with factory software that most of my customers have. This way i can figure out work-arounds, or find software to fix their problems.

The problem i have had with realtek sound software leads me to believe that the computer makers just think "barely acceptible" is good enough. I have tried every possible thing i could try or find to correct a clicking, statically, rough problem with the realtek sound in my Compaq SR1750 computer until i finally gave up and installed a Audigy sound card. A couple of years ago i bought 50 Audigy OEM cards form a wholesale supplier. Before that i always ran the Live! series of Creative cards. I have few left now but still install them in most of my computers. The sound cannot be compared to the realtek sound. That is why i suggested replacing the card. You will never go back to the on-board sound once you have heard the creative's.

If you are thinking of the cost of the Creative cards, all i have to say is many of my creative SB live and Audigy cards have been transferred from old computers to newer computers with no problems. I just add the newest drivers from the creative website. Just cheap good sounds when i need them and a excellent ripping player with the software to boot.

SRX660

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I was in no way criticising any help comments , just adding another option to try . It did seem curious that virushelpplease had not experienced the "noise" problem before updating at MS .

I have a onboard sound chip and have always experienced a scratchy sound when I do anything whilst playing a Video or Audio track in Win XP . Funny thing is , in PCLinuxOS I have no problem . The sound is excellent ! That suggests on my system the Linux drivers and general memory usage are setup much better , for the Sound and Video Hardware , but that's getting of track , but suggests there can be good and bad drivers for the exact same Hardware ...

virushelpplease can simply "Rollback" to the old drivers in the Device Manager , or get a Sound card and pop it into a Expansion slot on his Motherboard , there may be some physical work actually disabling the "On board Chip" , it's something we could look into if virushelpplease returns :)

" ... The problem i have had with realtek sound software leads me to believe that the computer makers just think "barely acceptible" is good enough."

I verify wholeheartedly SRX660 's comments , there's some really bad onboard sound chips and drivers .

Edited by Topaz, 13 October 2008 - 10:59 AM.