Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud noises high cpu usage. MALWARE FREE

• Please log in to reply

ejs5069

ejs5069

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
A while back I posted on the malware removal site trying clean up my computer while improving cpu speeds. It helped for a little but the problem came back soon after. As stated in the description my computer seems to be having problem with playing videos from youtube....etc and when i insert my external hard drive. When these problems arise my cpu usage is around 99 percent and one of my fans in the computer makes becomes loud. I recently noticed that if i don't touch the computer for a day afterwards the problems momentarily disappear. I don't really know what will be helpful to post, so if you think you can offer help just ask as you please.

here is the url to my malware topic
http://www.geekstogo...an-t212033.html

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

This does sound like an interesting problem. So the loud fan/high CPU usage problem only occurs when watching Youtube videos, and when you insert your external hard drive, is that correct?

There are no other circumstances when this problem happens?

Troy

ejs5069

ejs5069

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
From what i notice, say if im watching a video on youtube. Its a 15 minute long video, 5 10 minutes into it the cpu usage goes up to 99 percent. With regards to the external hard drive i believe there might be a malware stored on it maybe so maybe not. The noises have started when on facebook too. These are just times that i have noticed. This nonsense has been going back and forth for over a month now. one day is fine the other day is bad.

I think there is a chance my hard drive is on the way out. When i started writing this message a high pitch noise was coming from the area of the hard drive and know it is gone. Think there is chance that there could be a problem with the ram connection.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
We need some computer info: processor speed, amount of RAM, hard drive size/free space.
Also, when CPU usage reaches 99%, what process(es) is taking the biggest chunk of your CPU usage?

ejs5069

ejs5069

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dell Inspiron 9400
Processor: T7200 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz
RAM: 1GB

When cpu usages is at 99% mozilla firefox is eating up the most of my memory. Sometimes i've seen it over 120,000k

anything else that could help?

one other note when i open windows explorer it doesn't respond and causes the rest the computer to restart windows explorer.

Edited by ejs5069, 07 October 2008 - 08:37 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you tried loading Firefox without any profiles?

Do the same symptoms occur using Internet Explorer (or another browser)?

Troy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Ideally, Vista would like to be run on dual core processor, and what even more important, 2GB of RAM.
You need more RAM, that's for sure.
Secondly, your FF memory usage is totally acceptable. Depending on its configuration, especially what add-ons are installed, its memory usage may be even bigger, than yours.
However what I was asking is to look in Task Manager at CPU column, and see what process is taking most of the CPU:

Posted Image

ejs5069

ejs5069

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My computer hasn't hit 99% cpu usage since i started this thread. However, I can tall you that right now taskmngr has the highest cpu at 5. This switches off sometimes between firefox and the taskmanager and even windows explorer if it is open. They are all relatively close to 5 if it is using the most cpu. Now change of thought i opened a video on youtube and the firefox cpu jumps up into the 20s. I downloaded speedfan yesterday and my computer is always sitting right around 55 degrees. I also noticed that when my computer is freaking out ie (making loud noises from the fans) that only one of the fans on it doing anything.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I can tall you that right now taskmngr has the highest cpu at 5. This switches off sometimes between firefox and the taskmanager and even windows explorer if it is open

Normal.

i opened a video on youtube and the firefox cpu jumps up into the 20s

Normal, too.

I downloaded speedfan yesterday and my computer is always sitting right around 55 degrees

I looked at the processor of your laptop, and its max temps are listed at 100C, so I don't think, you have overheating problem. Laptops will always run hotter, than desktops.

ejs5069

ejs5069

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright. I have been running my computer in power saver mood for a week or two. Tonight i decided to put it in high preformance and the cpu usage jumped way up. The computer also got a lot louder. Right know my computer is at 95% and taskmanager has the highest cpu which is 32. Im going to put it back in to power saver mode and see if it changes.

Edited by ejs5069, 08 October 2008 - 10:16 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Right know my computer is at 95% and taskmanager has the highest cpu which is 32

Little bit high for Task Manager. What process does take the rest of 95%?

As I said before, get another 1GB of RAM, and you'll see huge improvement. I can bet you $5, that the laptop will become much more quiet. Right now, it works too hard.

ejs5069

ejs5069

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
just bought some ram from dell, hopefully it works lol. i trust you broni however, if it doesn't you will be hearing from me again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let me know, one way, or another.