Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to move program files and documents and settings to another partit

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I'm tring to separate the XP Pro(SP3) OS from program files and documents and settings.
I've read that it's a lot easier to protect my stuff that way.
But I don't see how to do it.
Thanks.
jst42day

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Actually, what needs to be protected is your data- documents, photos, saved .exe files, music, videos, etc.
Stuff that you want to keep because, well, you want to.

Program Files constitute the data stored by Windows for installed applications. Saving (copying) those will offer no benefit in making the programs work on a system (or hard drive) that does not have the proper Registry entries to allow the programs to run. This is why they need to be 'installed' in the first place, and why more and more of us are in favor of "stand-alone" programs.

"Documents and Settings" are another matter. Copying almost all of a user profile and pasting it into another (see Microsoft: http://support.micro...m/?kbid=811151) can allow transfer of system settings to another user account. It may work to copy those to a new account created on a new install of Windows, I have not read about it being attempted.

The rest of "Documents and Settings" pertains to other user accounts, the system's configuration and data stored for use by and with installed programs- Application Data. I suppose I can see some potential benefit to having a copy of that info, but I do not.

My practice is to keep all of my data on an external hard drive. I then copy the entire contents of that drive to another periodically, so that I have duplicates of all my data files elsewhere than my local hard drive (C:).

Further, I allow ERUNT to make a Registy Backup each day at first boot, and image my local drive with Acronis True Image for restoration in case of disaster.

I'm glad that you are beginning to see the wisdom of keeping important data on a partition that does not include Windows itself.
If more people would do that, far fewer would lose their photos and music than do now.

Yes, move all personal data files off the Windows partition. Preferably to an external hard drive or flash.
Get free ERUNT: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/ and put it to work for you today.

Then begin the process of deciding on a drive imaging application.
Yes, there are free ones available- see Gizmo Richards: http://www.techsuppo...ing-program.htm
Once you have a Drive Image application working for you, you can really
"Never Re-install Windows Again:" http://www.techsuppo...rd-drives-3.htm

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Do you want to put those files on a different partition or a different hard drive?

Normally you cannot have the physical "Documents & Settings" folder upon another partition or drive because it is tied to the windows xp installation.

You can however create a "My Documents" folder or just drag your current My Documents folder to a separate partition or drive then continue to save things in that location.

If you have 2 drives. I recommend keeping your files on the main drive, but backing them up on the second drive. This way if either drive fails you still have your files.

It is only more secure to keep your files on a separate drive because if your main drive with xp gets infected by some form of malware or virus you stuff is untouched on the other drive. That however does not ensure the drive you place all your files on won't physically fail itself from simple life ending hardware failure.

Keep you files on the main drive. Then download a program like "Synctoy" http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Which allows you to create a scheduled incremental backup (incremental meaning it won't back up everything every time, it'll backup everything the first time, then thereafter it will only back up new items created or modified).

You then simply tell the Synctoy to backup the folder C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName

That folder alone will backup all your documents, desktop, and stored program settings (including outlook or outlook express emails etc...)

The only thing that won't be backed up is Program Files or anything you manually place in the C: drive outside of desktop, my documents etc...

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks to both of you.
I'll be experimenting and see what turns up.
jst42da

scottrickman

scottrickman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just use NTFS junction points to con windows ... C:\Program Files\Whatever *doesn't* actually have to be on the C: drive or on the same path. Move Program Files.