Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

2020Lemon

2020Lemon

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok so i turned off my computer (start, turn off) after it's been on for about 4-5 hours. Now someone else turns on the computer but all that happens are the lights on the hard drive all turn on, and the fan is on louder than usual. my dad says that the mother board fried, i just think there's some loose circuits or something. the computer is usually on for about the same period of time so i don't know why it would happen now. i just rebooted it 2 months ago so im sure there are no viruses, and there were no signs of the computer doing this, it has been running smoothly since the reboot. it's a dell dimension 3100, and this is the third major problem i've had with it. first problem was about 2 years ago i downloaded a small virus but everything was fixed soon. second problem happened about 3 months ago and the computer would always go to the setup screen and not the home page, tried fixing it but ended up reinstalling windows. i hope this is enough information to help. i think the computers worn out a bit, so i'll update in the morning if it works or not.

thanks.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well you could unplug everything except one stick of memory ( unless yours uses rambus then leave the memory ) and the video card and the power to the motherboard ( and video card if required ) and see if you get anything.... If not first guess is you have bad power... either the power supply or the power source ( where you have it plugged in) has a problem.... Could also be the motherboard and/or cpu...

2020Lemon

2020Lemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i doubt it's the power source, if its the mother board or cpu what's the problem? and is it serious? i really don't want to lose all my information again

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi 2020Lemon, good day. :)

The subject didn't hit the exact problem of your unit. As what I've read in your post that when turn ON your computer. The computer will ON meaning there's a power that supply to your unit. The LED indicators are all ON. But the problem is, there's no display in the monitor.

These are the possible hardware problem.
1. Motherboard
2. Memory
3. Power Supply

Here's what you are going to do:
Motherboard
1. To know of your motherboard is ok then try to remove the RAM and turn it ON. If your hear error beeps then that's a good sign. Your motherboard is fine.

Memory
1. Try to clean the memory contacts using the eraser. I'm pointing about the gold contacts in the memory. Might be the dirt only that causes the problem.

Power Supply
1. Try to replace the power supply. It could be insufficient supply of power due to the lots of peripherals attached to your computer. The recommend PSU watt should be 500W to accommodate all the peripherals attach to the unit.

Post back for the result. Thanks and God bless. :)

2020Lemon

2020Lemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Posted Image

that's my computer, my friend said that my HD failed therefore it can't losd he OS.

another thing is that all 4 diagnostic lights are on (1,2,3,4) and the power button is amber,
and according to the manual;

"If all four diagnostic lights stay on and the
power button remains amber, a possible
processor power or connection error has
occurred."

my friend said he thinks the hard drive failed and that sounds right, he said to fix it i have to buy a new HD and install windows on that, he said recovering the data would be hard though.

is he right? and is there any way i can fix it without buying a new hard drive and anyway i can recover the data?

2020Lemon

2020Lemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
someone else also told me to unplug my ram then plug it back in.
sounds like it might work, i don't know though. id rather not open up a computer

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I beg to disagree what your friend said. Even if your computer doesn't have a hard drive(This is equivalent to failed HDD). The computer will still display an output in the monitor but until POST only. But in your case there's no display in the monitor. So I'm suspecting it could be the motherboard, memory or the power supply is the culprit.

Edited by SHENGTON, 08 October 2008 - 01:01 PM.

2020Lemon

2020Lemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
alright, that makes sense also, so how do i go about fixing the memory? i need to know if this will erase all my saved files as they are very important. i'm really not comfortable opening up my computer so i'll probably take it to best buy if cleaning my memory doesn't work, but in terms of cleaning the memory, how do i do that? also can you elaborate what the memory is and how it effects the start up of my computer just so i have a better understanding. again, i don't believe it is the power supply, but i will try plugging the computer directly inside the wall socket instead of the extension cord.

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello Lemon,

How are you doing?

Attached File  RAM.bmp   467.07KB   138 downloads

Well when they are talking about memory they are talking about a stick that is located in your computer on the inside. They are talking about what people call RAM. What it does is provides space for your computer to read and write data to be accessed by the CPU.

in turn If you add more RAM to your computer, you reduce the number of times your CPU must read data from your hard disk. This usually allows your computer to work considerably faster, as RAM is many times faster than a hard disk.

RAM is volatile, so data stored in RAM stays there only as long as your computer is running. As soon as you turn the computer off, the data stored in RAM disappears.

When you turn your computer on again, your computer's boot firmware (called BIOS on a PC) uses instructions stored semi-permanently in ROM chips to read your operating system and related files from the disk and load them back into RAM.

therefore if your RAM (Memory) is bad or loose it would cause your computer to not start up and also would cause the Orange light.

When you turn on your computer does the fan on your power supply come on and stay on or does it turn off after a few seconds? I know you said it was louder then normal

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Memory
1. Try to clean the memory contacts using the eraser. I'm pointing about the gold contacts in the memory. Might be the dirt only that causes the problem.

Do not do this!
It is a bad suggestion!
Was the computer moved or bumped?
Do you get any display on the screen when you first turn it on?
It does sound like your RAM may need to be reseated, but it may be the motherboard (yes, it can just happen like that).
My bet is the motherboard is toast.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
@hfcg
Good day Sir, just want to ask why is it that cleaning the contacts using the eraser is bad? Just wanna know why is it bad.

Thanks and God bless.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Rubbing an eraser across the connecters will produce a LOT of static electricity.
While erasers do a good job of removing carbon build up, the static electricity can fry the chips in a memory module.