Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer making Beeping noise on Boot

• Please log in to reply

Pete G

Pete G

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I have an intermittent issue here, I have a user whose PC makes a humming/beep noise when you boot it up. It happens right when it tries to find the keyboard, when I unplug the keyboard it goes away. It said keyboard failure, So at first I thought it might be a bad keyboard or PS/2 port, so I gave her a USB keyboard, but after awhile it happened again. Then I thought it might be a bad motherboard or power supply, so I gave her a whole new tower. I also swapped her UPS with a brand new one. Her machine is a DELL Optiplex 270 with windows 2000. Also, sometimes while she is in windows all of a sudden she is not able to open anything up, when she double clicks it nothing happens, for example, My computer on the desktop. Then when you restart the PC you hear the humming/beep noise. It does not stop unless I unplug the USB keyboard. What is going on here? After everything I did I am hoping it does not come back, but if it starts to happen again, could it be a bad current or voltage level going into the machine? Any Ideas, feedback, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Pete G, 08 October 2008 - 08:54 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Let me make sure I've understood the problem correctly:

The PS/2 keyboard was replaced for a USB one. Problem stopped for a while but then came back again.
You've swapped out the entire base unit, including PSU, motherboard, drives etc
You've swapped out the UPS
After all this, she is still getting the same noise intermittantly on boot up.
This noise is definately occuring on boot up (before Windows has started to load)?

Given everything that you've already tried, and assuming this noise is occuring, or at least starts during the POST test, then I would suspect the keyboard itself is the problem. Or more specifically, check the keyboard cable for kinks and check the keys. It sounds like the cable may be either getting trapped under something, or has been (or is being) badly kinked. Failing that, check that there are no sticky keys.

Pete G

Pete G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi there

Let me make sure I've understood the problem correctly:

The PS/2 keyboard was replaced for a USB one. Problem stopped for a while but then came back again.
You've swapped out the entire base unit, including PSU, motherboard, drives etc
You've swapped out the UPS
After all this, she is still getting the same noise intermittantly on boot up.
This noise is definately occuring on boot up (before Windows has started to load)?

Given everything that you've already tried, and assuming this noise is occuring, or at least starts during the POST test, then I would suspect the keyboard itself is the problem. Or more specifically, check the keyboard cable for kinks and check the keys. It sounds like the cable may be either getting trapped under something, or has been (or is being) badly kinked. Failing that, check that there are no sticky keys.

Yes, the noise is definitely occurring on boot up before windows starts to load and I replaced the entire PC and keyboard with a new one, same monitor and mouse though, and I changed the UPS. Thank you for the reply. If it happens again I will check the keyboard cable to make sure it is not being kinked.