Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

smoke test without video card

• Please log in to reply

Murph12

Murph12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am building my first computer for my wife for gaming. I want to set up the mother board with the processor, one stick of memory, and one hard drive but leave out the video card. If something goes wrong it is the most expensive piece and I don't want it fried. I didn't know if this was a good idea and if I could then put it in and set up the rest and attach to the monitor to finish installing software, etc....

Thanks, Murph

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Depends on the motherboard - some have an integrated video solution, so you won't need the video card itself to see.

The system does not require the hard drive or video card to complete POST.

Don't forget the heatsink!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome :)

If there is no onboard video, then how will you know the computer is POSTing or not? You won't be able to see anything. :)

I suggest you throw it in.

Troy

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
It isn't required for POST. Some computers will beep when POST is complete, the keyboard lights flash, etc. If there is no other indicator of POST other than what is on the screen, put in the video card so you can see, if there's no integrated video. :)