Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Setup Stalling/Canceling

• Please log in to reply

oziphantom

oziphantom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

Recently my machine had a catastrophic hardware failure and I have basically had to replace alot. New Mobo, CPU, PCI-e graphics card, memory but same HDDs, Sound Card and Wifi Card and PSU.

It went from a dual Xeon HT, AGP Nvidia Graphics gard, 1gig ram to a dual core AMD 2.2ghz, 2gig ram, PCI-E Nvidia Graphics card. I have removed the Sound card and the Wifi card for the minute and disabled all onboard item such as Nvidia Lan and Realtek Audio, also disabled things like AMD Cool'n'Quiet. Also the new motherboard is SLI compatable, and the old one wasn't. Both the new motherboard and the old motherboard are Asus.

Now I have done an XP Repair, but its not enough, some of my old drivers are still causing it to kmode upon boot up, its kmodes once it goes to display the "Loading Windows" Logo. But in Safe mode it can get to the stage where it will show a desktop and a messagebox. But alas I get the "Windows Setup can not run is SafeMode, I will reset now "

I have also tried putting it into VGA mode upon boot up, but to no avail.

Is it possible for me to stop the XP setup to let me enter safemode, remove all the devices in device manger and then let it run setup?

Thanks for you help.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
So if I understand correctly you bought all new hardware and basically inserted your old hard drive into it to see if it would boot and it would not so you attempted a repair install?

Only once out of the dozen times I have done that has it ever worked. Usually because the hard drive or windows installation on that drive is set to think you have another board attached to it so it will not function properly having drivers set for another board.

I highly recommend backing up the data on that drive somehow then simply formatting it instead of repairing it. You will most likely be unable to get to safe mode (especially in the middle of a repair install) and even if you did you would have to remove a lot of different drivers in order for it to work.

I'd say backup and reinstall.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello oziphantom...

As AitrusSkyy suggested, your Windows won't start because of the hardware changes,

However, the recommended first step would be to run a
REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's.

You should not have to format the HDD to get your machine running again.

wannabe1

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Hello oziphantom...

As AitrusSkyy suggested, your Windows won't start because of the hardware changes,

However, the recommended first step would be to run a
REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's.

You should not have to format the HDD to get your machine running again.

wannabe1

No offense but if you read his post....

"Now I have done an XP Repair, but its not enough, some of my old drivers are still causing it to kmode upon boot up, its kmodes once it goes to display the "Loading Windows" Logo. But in Safe mode it can get to the stage where it will show a desktop and a messagebox. But alas I get the "Windows Setup can not run is SafeMode, I will reset now "

He already did a repair install...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The old guy obviously needs to clean his glasses... :)

If you have data on the drive to recover, another option is a parallel install. This would get you past the driver issues as it would install the OS to a different directory on the same partition. I'll include instructions for this process in case you want to give it a try.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.