Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this my video card ?

• Please log in to reply

Shlee

Shlee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there ,
It's been a month since this happened and I have been waiting for a friend to come and help me with this but it seems to keep slipping his mind.

So here it is

I turned my computer off one day prior to going to work , when I got home I went to turn it on and it turned on but nothing was showing on my monitor other than the my monitor was going into power save mode.

first I thought this was my monitor but I hooked it up to another pc and it worked fine.

I have done a bit of searching and have figured it may be the video card. My knowledge of computers is pretty small so if anyone could help that would be great.
I believe that my video card is built into my mother board and have another video card I can put in but am not sure how to do that so if this infact what I need to do, some info on that would also be great.

Thanks <3

Edited by Shlee, 08 October 2008 - 12:18 PM.

Advertisements

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi Shlee, good day. :)

As what I've read in your post that when turn ON your computer. The computer will ON meaning there's a power that supply to your unit. The LED indicators are all ON. But the problem is, there's no display in the monitor.

These are the possible hardware problems.
1. Motherboard
2. Memory
3. Power Supply

Here's what you are going to do:
Motherboard
1. To know if your motherboard is ok then try to remove the RAM and turn it ON. If your hear error beeps then that's a good sign. Your motherboard is fine.

Memory
1. Try to clean the memory contacts using the eraser. I'm pointing about the gold contacts in the memory. Might be the dirt only that causes the problem.

Power Supply
1. Try to replace the power supply. It could be insufficient supply of power due to the lots of peripherals attached to your computer. The recommend PSU watt should be 500W to accommodate all the peripherals attach to the unit.

Post back for the result. Thanks and God bless. :)

Edited by SHENGTON, 08 October 2008 - 12:51 PM.

Shlee

Shlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will try these things this evening when I get home from work and will check back tomorrow, thanks for the help!

The motherboard should be fine as it was just replaced a few months prior to this happening so I hope that is not it

Edited by Shlee, 08 October 2008 - 12:49 PM.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok we'll wait and God bless. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Shlee

Shlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nothing is showing on my screen so how do I try to boot into safe mode ?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is what I wanted to know.
When you turn computer on, can you hear a beep?

Shlee

Shlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am not too sure , I will check when I get home from work and post here tomorrow morning or this evening if i get a chance

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK.

Shlee

Shlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Heya

I didnt get a chance to try those things out because i plugged my computer back in and it worked

It worked for 2 days then a blue screen came up and it started to do the same thing it was doing before upon restarting

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

When you turn computer on, can you hear a beep?

Shlee

Shlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes i hear one beep

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
One beep is good - it means you've passed the POST test (Power On Self Test) and means your motherboard is ok.

Now carry on with SHENGTON's routine and start checking your memory.

Shlee

Shlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i took the ram out and cleaned it off

what else ?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I'm no expert - best clear that bit of ground before we start - but can you please post your FULL system specs, this will m ake it easier for one of the experts to make an accurate diagnosis of your problem.