Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp takes 5-10 minutes to shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello, I have noticed that my computer regularly takes 5 or 6 minutes to shutdown and sometimes takes as long as 10 minutes. I was wondering if it could be my resource-hog NIS 2005 or if it may be a broken installation that is slowing it down. Any suggestions?

Thanks in Adavance

Advertisements

ISPtech

ISPtech

• Pip
  • 9 posts
do you regularly write data to a write-protected Secure Digital (SD) media card on your computer. this can be part of the issue.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have no idea

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

do you regularly write data to a write-protected Secure Digital (SD) media card on your computer.  this can be part of the issue.

View Post

How could this affect it? :tazz:

ISPtech

ISPtech

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This problem occurs because the small form factor disk driver does not complete the I/O Request Packet (IRP) correctly when it determines that the SD media card is write-protected. During shutdown, the I/O Manager cancels all outstanding I/O Request Packets after two minutes on a Windows XP-based computer and after five minutes on a Windows 2000-based computer. Only then can the computer successfully shut down.

--this was just a suggestion--

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Note the time, reboot the computer

at start up...

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs...list them here.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
For once, of course when I do not want it to, it logged off and shutdown momentarily. It rebooted in about a minute or so, maybe because I rebooted about an hour before that. When you say to record the errors under that list, do you mean just the ones at the time of my reboot?

I will leave my computer running for a while, and do a reboot later. I can't believe it rebooted that fast, it never has before.

Thank you for the help, I will post my list of errors at a later time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, at the time of the error

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I restarted and it took about 3 minutes to shutdown, but there were no errors. I did notice errors from previous shutdowns though if that will be any help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
YES

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
error application hang category - (101) event - 1002

there were two of them listed...that's it.