Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
When I start my PC, I check task manager and I have 73 process open. With firefox or IE open my CPU will jump into the 50-79% range. So Im wondering what number processes should I be in between, which ones can I kill and keep? Is there a site out there that has what each one is for and means?

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i have 76 processes on mine, and cpu usage at about 0%-20%, while typing this and FF open.

do you have any other programs running that could be using the cpu

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You can look up the items in task manager on google.
You can right click the process and select properties, and look at what the process belongs to.
Do you have instant messenger, or other applications running even if you do not need them?
If so they will start every time that you boot.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Hello,
You can look up the items in task manager on google.
You can right click the process and select properties, and look at what the process belongs to.
Do you have instant messenger, or other applications running even if you do not need them?
If so they will start every time that you boot.

I have AIM open, I kill yahoo and MSN so its not active or running. I'll try doing the google. My PC is fairly new. about 5 months old and its a decent machine, shouldnt be running high like that.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The age of the machine does not matter. What matters is the number of programs running.
With new machines you will have more programs running because; You have not taken out the garbage, and the manufactures put more on to make their machine more attractive to buyers (who do not know any better).
You have a lot of programs running that do not need to run all of the time.
For example, do you have Google desk top? This takes up resorces even when you are not using it.
The examples are too long to list, look for programs that are running that you do not use all of the time.
Try looking at the bottom right of your screen, see all of those little icons? They are all programs running right now.
You can right click on them and shut them down (exit) if you are not using them.
But how can I keep them from starting every time I boot my computer? Good question!
Please read this article on using msconfig.