Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Solid orange light on motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello everyone this is my first post because thankfully I have not needed to in the past.

I moved my computer from my right side to my left side of my desk today and so it began. That only took about 10 minutes I was sure to turn the power supply off before unplugging everything. After I moved it and plugged everything back in I tried to turn it on. Both of the LED fan lights flash and my CPU fan moves just a little bit. When powered down my motherboard has a blue light, after I tried to power it on this time there is a blue light and an orange light comes on and it does nothing from that point. I did notice that the small 4-prong part of the main power input was detached after already trying to power on. Please help I just built this and it is the best build Ive ever had, I will be heart broken without it!

I do not know if you all can see my specs so here they are:

-XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard
-Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Processor
-XFX GeForce 9600 GT XXX Video Card
-Patriot Signature 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
-StealthXStream 600-Watt Power Supply

Windows XP Pro

Thank you in advance,
Nate

Advertisements

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
There are a few possibilities.

If it's been plugged in continuously, the adapter may have simply overheated. Allowing it a few minutes to cool down without being plugged in could possibly fix it. Try unplugging the power cable from both the wall and the laptop for 30 minutes and give it another shot. This might work.

The other, less happy, possibility is that your adapter overheated to a critical point or was struck by an electrical surge and is damaged beyond repair.

Also since you did move the computer you might want to check to ensure nothing inside the case is loose. Such as Ram, CPU. Also another thing you can do is just keep the main things hooked up that you need such as floppy, CD-rom, Hard drive, mouse, keyboard, video card if you need it for your monitor, take everything else away. If it still does it with just the nessacery parts then it might be that your CPU fried or your power supply is overheating. Also check the switch on the back of the computer and ensure it is set for the correct voltage and was not moved from 110 to 220 or 220 to 110 depending on what voltage you use.

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you,

I actually found out that my motherboard's back was touching the plate causing it to ground out. Luckily the plastic on the back of my motherboard that connects to the CPU fan saved me from potentially frying my motherboard. Corrected the standoffs and elevated it from the plate and it fired up just fine.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You said you correccted the standoffs. I hope that you do have standoffs on the unit and the board mounted to them. also ensure that the correct screws/ washers (if any) are correct and there is no possibility of shorting out.

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes it is fine now. I had someone help me at work who apparently didnt know what they were doing. They set the mobo on the plate and the standoffs on the reverse side of the plate pretty much putting the back of the mobo as close as possible to the metal...I got lucky for sure. Once i noticed that i screwed the standoffs into the plate then the mobo into the standoffs which solved a lot of puzzles in my case like why the back didnt meet correctly or why the vid card couldnt reach the case to screw in. I have had it back for about a week now and it is doing great. My love and I are united again! haha

Thanks guys,
Nate